Author Topic: March and the coyote hunter  (Read 2714 times)

uncle buck

March and the coyote hunter
« on: March 03, 2011, 11:57:40 AM »
Good time to hunt them now... They are mating and they want to protect their turf... Simple howls will bring them in..
Also no leaves on the branches and trees yet in March... You can still see a thousand miles... Come late April...leaves block out everything.

Offline my7pointmonster

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
  • Doubled Up
Re: March and the coyote hunter
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 12:51:01 PM »
So will challenge barks/howls work better in march then I'm assuming?

Ryan.
District 4

uncle buck

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 07:38:19 PM »
Challenge howls will work anytime.  I don't do the challenge howl until about the 35 minute mark... Just might scare away the younger coyotes.. I stay away from plain old barking all together.. However the Challenge howl does have to short bark and a short howl.  That is the only time I will bark when calling coyotes...

Offline my7pointmonster

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
  • Doubled Up
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 08:03:07 PM »
I'm new to the coyote game so I'm open to all suggestions

Ryan.
District 4

Offline closer

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 08:12:40 PM »
Uncle Buck, what specific howls would you use now, I'm going next weekend to a farm where there are a pair of resident coyotes, have been seen there multiple times this year that is.

Any good sequence you would use?

Your welcome to come call them for us, I have several spots south of Pittsburgh

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 08:50:32 PM »
Puppies are coming soon. Why not let coyotes go till next fall? More animals to hunt.

uncle buck

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 10:54:27 PM »
Puppies are coming soon. Why not let coyotes go till next fall? More animals to hunt.

Even some of the seasoned coyote hunters on here would not put a dent in the coyote populations.. New hunters...they got to learn and get out there and get busted a bit... There are no good books or video on how to hunt the Pa coyote.. I think as the warmer weather comes in April...Many of the coyotes that will get shot are by the turkey hunters and the chuck hunters.. I think every Pa Caller needs to get out there and try.. March is still one of the most outstanding months to hunt coyotes.. What a shame to let it go by without new hunters learning just how the Pa Coyote acts.

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 06:53:46 AM »
March is the last month that i hunt for them, then i give them a break until Fall.  March is a different month.  Coyote populations are at their lowest and they are either paired up or looking for new territory and a mate.  i like to use, coyote locator, lone howl, coyote interrigation howl but my favorite is female invitation.   this time of year if i call one answers me with a challange i will immediatley challenge back and sit and wait.  march is tough because of the wind, it never seems to stop and is alway swirling.   

Offline SongDogSilencer

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 09:20:51 AM »

With this logic Deer hunting should take place from August til October.
Besides, some of guys hunt coyotes, just to TRY and put a dent in the population.