Author Topic: Anyone hunting the past week?  (Read 2263 times)

Offline coyotenightmare

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
Anyone hunting the past week?
« on: February 06, 2011, 03:46:00 PM »
I was wondering if anyone was out this past week, and how they have done. Things here in Juniata County are bad for calling. The snow is so loud to walk in that I haven't been able to do much calling. I just can't wait till things change and I can do some more hunting. Just bought another predator gun. It's a 223 wssm in a winchester model 70 featherweight. I was using my .204, but have been having too much trouble finding coyotes after I hit them. No problem though for fox as they are usually about blown in half. Any one else singing the blues like me...unable to hunt?

uncle buck

Re: Anyone hunting the past week?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 11:46:14 AM »
No they are starting to move again..I hunted Friday with a new hunter and last night into early morning.. Total call ins for the two days was 5 red fox.. I know that the zero temps and the - wind chills have been impacting the movement of fox..If your temps in your area are way down in the one digits it could be this hurting your calling..We have crusty snow here too.. I have been just getting where it's legal and calling..25 yards off the roads..  Um can't believe the 204 Ruger would not work for you for coyotes.. Might be that you just did not get a solid hit on one???

Offline coyotenightmare

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 06:00:51 PM »
I shot a 45 pound red male a week+ ago with the .204. The bullet (32 grain hornady) entered in front of the near shoulder, shattered the heart and lungs, and never exited. That coyote ran at least 100 yards and never left a drop of blood on his trail. Lucky for me there was snow to track him in and I knew I couldn't have missed. I shot another male before that and did make a poor shot. Hit him in the shoulder and the bullet blew up and never penetrated his chest cavity. He started running and I shot him through the snout. Ended up having to put the gun down and running him down on foot and grabbing his tail. Short work of him then. :)

uncle buck

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 06:07:53 PM »
Interesting thansk for sharing...Are you using V-Max bullets or HP 32 grainers?  I know with my 17 CF I don't use V-Max only HP...  If it was just the one you got.. I'd say hitting the shoulder blad with any varmint round won't put them down.. However thanks for posting the info on the 204 Ruger..

Offline coyotenightmare

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 06:12:12 PM »
I am using V-max. I love my 204 and won't quit using it, but was surprised and it's performance. Once I shoot up my loads, I might try a heavier grain bullet and see how they perform. I know now the shoulder blade is a bad place to hit. Figured I had a good excuse for a new gun...

uncle buck

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 06:24:39 PM »
it could be the V-Max.. All of them all calibers they explode just below the surface.. you hit the shoulder bone it's got to be the V-Max..Try the HP..Give them a work out on chucks this Spring.. I have a Encore 204 Ruger barrel and I like it for chucks and coyotes but I don't use V-Max.

Offline yote204

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 05:13:14 PM »
i have a 204 also, v-max are going to fast to shoot a coyote they just blow up , i shoot berger 35gr hp, and they perform great on coyotes, i have read all over the internet that they are indeed the best bullet for yotes using the 204