Author Topic: Coyote Hunting Mentor Hunts  (Read 2457 times)

uncle buck

Coyote Hunting Mentor Hunts
« on: August 19, 2010, 11:12:29 PM »
Coyotes is now designated as an authorized animal for Youth Mentor hunts... In other words for children under 12 years old..

I would hope that the PGC would think about factory type ammo when they make this decision... Looks like the only size buckshot factory ammo in  20 gauge is # 3 buckshot...  # 3 buckshot is not legal...Only # 4 buckshot...So if you want to take your child on a mentor hunt and they are under 12 years old and want them to use a 20 gauge  shotgun. They can't legally use # 3 buckshot.....

The PGC need to look at stuff like this and legalize equipment.. In this case the 20 Gauge  # 3 buckshot and allow children the right to use it for coyote... Or do they expect a child to use a 12 gauge HB # 4 buckshot which in fact could give the kid a flinch and make him hate hunting?????

After I am done posting this I am going right to the PGC web site...Get their e-Mail address and ask them to consider allowing youth mentor who can hunt coyotes the privilege to use factory # 3 buckshot.

By the way a load of # 4 buck in a 20 gauge 2 3/4 shells has 18 pellets.
A load 2 3/4 inch 20 gauge factory # 3 buck has 20 pellets.. # 3 would be better since it bigger shot but the difference is only 2 more pellets.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 11:16:19 PM by uncle buck »

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Coyote Hunting Mentor Hunts
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 06:21:49 AM »
with most states going to #4 shot as the biggest you can use for turkey the ammo manufactures are not making anything bigger than that in lead because of supply and demand.  hard to find #2 shot and BB in lead anymore.  the only options are going to be heavy shot and other non toc shot for the predator hunter.   Steel is terrible imo and i wouldn't shoot a fox or coyote with it.   the also have these new self defense loads coming out and they do offer a 4B in 20 guage but these shells are made to shoot someone and not do damage through drywall so I am thinking they are not going to have the same range as a regular shell. 

I did look at the Lee shotgun reloader and i think they did offer it in a 20, that may be the only option in the near future. 

maybe one of the ammo manufactures will see a need for the predator hunter and start making some good loads in lead. 

uncle buck

Re: Coyote Hunting Mentor Hunts
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 06:16:24 PM »
Scott...your comments on the Home Defense load is probably true... Home defense probably has a special wad that would spread the shot fast..Kind of like to shoot down the hallway at close quarters...In the hunting woods it just might not reach out far enough for coyotes or red fox...I probably would work for grey fox... However at that distance...20 gauge copperplated  # 4 shot would work fine for grey fox...