Author Topic: How smart is an Eastern Coyote and What's it thinking?  (Read 6301 times)

uncle buck

How smart is an Eastern Coyote and What's it thinking?
« on: February 16, 2010, 05:38:10 PM »
Read these things in articles all the time but what do you truly feel about our Eastern Coyotes?

Here are some of the things I have read over the years...

(1) once you call one in they will remember not only your sound of your call but your scent too?  I think the guy the wrote this into an article probably lived with a pack of coyotes..  You know like in the old days on the tube.. Someone always lived with the Apache or Navajo, or Crow so they knew them like the back of their hand.  

(2)  Coyotes roam and will come back to the same place in about a week or so?  Me thinks this guy has again been living and roaming with the coyotes to determind this thing..

(3)   Alpha Males and Alpha Females only mate and the B and C pecking order take care of them?  Don't know for sure but books do say this?

(3) Coyotes out West are easier to call because the population is larger and it's a first come first serve for the dying rabbit?  This could be true?  If the food is available in the East why come to a crazy rabbit in distress sound... Ah but they be mammals like us...Sex   AKA Coyote  vocalization is going to allow any grown mammal put it's guard down.... I do believe in this that for sure...

k
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 05:38:34 PM by uncle buck »

Offline Rich Cronk

Re: How smart is an Eastern Coyote and What's it thinking?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 12:44:10 PM »
uncle buck,

Eastern coyotes are no smarter than westerns, but it seems to me that they are much more spooky because of people pressure. People population is higher than the coyote population in a lot of eastern area's. You are correct about the coyote vocal's being hot.

Offline muttbuster

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 01:47:13 PM »
I've hunted Texas, Wyoming, and Pa Coyotes. The Eastern seems to be more alert to it's surroundings than the others. More people, more distractions, and more unnatural behavior by their food source. All the eastern animals are on alert 24/7. That makes everything in our woods a little nervous and on guard. Out west, they can relax and just focus on food for the most part.
President PPHA

Offline lonewolf

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 06:28:32 PM »
Ive read the western coyote moved north above the great lakes and bred with the wolf producing a hybrid. Then the hybrid migrated from canada back down to the eastern us. The locals named it the brushwolf aka eastern coyote. Dont know how true it is but i did read it in a book. I have no support weather to accept or deny this claim.  Whatcha think??????????

Offline lonewolf

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 06:29:44 PM »
oh and by the way the eastern coyote is dam smart!

Offline DaveyC

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 06:09:37 PM »
Yeah they are! I have gone after them a few times a year for about 5 years and still haven't even takin a shot yet! I have only seen 2 out of range before they were gone! I have to turn this around NOW and get some more time in the woods. I just don't know anywhere around my house to hunt.

Offline bhw

• Junior Forum Member
    • Bark at the Moon Coyote Club
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 06:23:05 PM »
regarding # 1...

They can differeniate between different animals - and that means humans. They have a highly developed organ... the vomeronasal organ that identifies pheromones and can help differeniate between different animals
Read the NEW book EASTERN COYOTE CHALLENGE at Bark at the Moon Coyote Club! http://www.bucksnorthuntingworld.com/

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 07:00:16 PM »
If a coyote was that smart he would have a bank account and sleep indoors. No, the eastern coyote is no smarter. It only seems that way because there is less of them to call.

uncle buck

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 07:45:45 PM »
Let say that the Eastern Coyote can not catch deer 365 days a year...It's a Omnivore so they do eat anything just like humans...However during the deep snows they will kill more deer then since the deer just can't out run them then...Then the fawns....Even if fawns do not have scent when they are fawns they are vulnerable once found... Sure can't out run a coyote when discovered...
They do Try to kill deer 365 days a year... I have seen them chasing healthy deer in October. In that time frame I am sure no deer where killed..However...September... they probably filled themselves with grasshoppers... See Omnivore

As far as lack of deer in the regular deer seasons...I do see so many multiple reason for this..Yes allowing everyone to fill all their tags....Let say in archery season...that means an archer can take a buck and 3 anterless deer  in October if he has the three tags..
Same with early black powder...if someone has three tags...They can harvest an anterless deer each day there after withing that one week muzzle loader anterless season..

Then there are our increase of roads in the commonwealth..More roads, more automobiles more deer getting killed by vehicles...

then there are the private lands not open to hunting.. All the deer shot at move to those areas real fast.  Only a handful of hunters have aright to hunt some lands  some lands are closed totally to hunting deer all together.. That is where some of the deer are now... Protected by land owners who do not allow deer hunting..

Yes maybe we need to go back to the old days... Ah you shoot a anterless with the bow in archery season your season was over...You shoot a buck in archery season and you could not hunt a anterless deer  or shoot a buck with the gun nope your deer hunting was over for the year.. No doe hunting allowed if you took one deer in Pa...Could be selling all of the multiple deer tags wow 3 each per hunter could be why no deer are in Pa.

However all our efforts to stop man from killing. If this was done...Wow a bad snow year and we sure would be keeping the coyotes bellies full for all of our efforts..

Looks like we just can never win ... LOL  LOL

By the way...Since my retirement in 2005 to now 2009 I have held 15 anterless tags. 3 each for each year...2006 I killed an anterless deer and in 2008 I killed an anterless deer but no bucks in those 5 years...I for one sure did not put a big dent in our Pa deer herd...