Author Topic: thinking about a predator hunting trip for next year.  (Read 5011 times)

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
thinking about a predator hunting trip for next year.
« on: February 24, 2010, 01:36:00 PM »
was thinking about putting together a trip for next year, maybe AZ, CO, NE, for predator hunting.  I would like to have a chance at coyotes and bobcats.  anybody have any thoughts or would be interested in going? 

uncle buck

Re: thinking about a predator hunting trip for next year.
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 03:44:52 PM »
Texas  coyote and bobcat season is open year round and there is no limit  on the animals..
Heard tell the the more West of Dallas and or South Texas the predator hunting gets better..

At this point in time I would have to do some thinking if I would like to go but I have always wanted to go somewhere for at least a week and hunt coytoes and or bobcat real hard...However too....I did not want to hunt them over bait or by special methods not like we use here in Pa.

Mainly.....Wish I could find some large ranch filled with both and I called them in with mouth call or electronics like we do here in Pa..

Offline muttbuster

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 05:14:09 PM »
South or west Texas is the place to go. The south is much thicker cover so they're a little harder top hunt. More close range. West Texas (Midland area) is a lot more open. You can see them coming a good way off. Many Coyotes, Mtn Lion wild pig and tons of Bobcats. I killed 4 Cats the first night. I could have killed 2 more but I had enough. I shot a wild hog, coyotes, and one long tail Mountain lion plus several fox on a four night hunt. Hunted Blue quail and Jack Rabbits during the day. It's in the top of the list for me as far as places to hunt. I want to go back if my health will allow me to. Time will tell.
President PPHA

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 06:20:19 PM »
Bill,

Did you have a guide and lodge, if so can you put up the info. 

Thanks
Scott

uncle buck

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 06:28:43 PM »
Ah Texas......Do you know you can hunt rabbits at night time...When I was there you could do it 365 days a year too....Do remember one time when I was young...We hunted cottontails... i got one skinned it and put it in a Styrofoam ice chest to take back to my ship...Thing was iced down too... However being that I was 20 years old I guess I did not change the ice... You can just imagine what happened in the Texas sun?

wow the fishing and duck hunting is awesome in Corpus Christi, Texas too.. reds, Sand Trout, Croaker, etc etc...Ducks of course would be in season in Nov.....Wow I thank the good lord that while I did not hunt predators I sure hunted ducks as much as I could....
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 06:30:21 PM by uncle buck »

Offline muttbuster

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 07:37:09 PM »
Scott, the guide we used has retired since then but I think FP51 knows of another one. I'll check with him and let you know. You hunt them there just like you hunt them here. Usually hunt from a vehicle high seat. My favorite type of hunt. You see eyes coming in from way out there. It's fun to watch then sneak there way in to the call. You never know for sure what it is till it's in shooting range.
President PPHA

Offline muttbuster

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 07:43:23 PM »
Scott, also, the best time to go is in November. You will see more Jacks and Cottontail at night than you can count. Rattlesnakes aren't usually a problem walking the desert at night that time of the year. During the day can be a different story. Wear snake boots cause there are plenty of them there. I had one of my big male cats done in a full body mount jumping up catching a Blue quail.
President PPHA

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 08:28:31 PM »
The difference between hunting Texas vs Wyoming you have to pay to hunt in Texas and Wyoming you don't. All private land in Texas vs BLM public land in Wyoming. I hunt both states every year.

Offline muttbuster

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 08:38:25 PM »
If you're going to hunt Wyoming, go in September. Perfect weather and it's before the regular hunting  season starts which means you can hunt just about any place you want. FP51 is correct, you can hunt for free. You don't even need to buy a hunting license to hunt coyotes.
drive out, takes 2 days, get a room, some BLM maps and go hunt. It's a great place.
President PPHA

Offline Duffman

• Senior Forum Member
    • DuffMan's Myspace
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 09:13:26 PM »
I took my first ever hunting trip this past January to New Mexico. The hunting could've been better, but the week before two contests were held in the area with over 500 coyotes taken. >:( Still, beautiful country, I loved it.
:":"DuffMan":":

"Lead, follow, or get out of the way."-Thomas Paine

Offline Lifes2fun

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 12:55:08 AM »
Scott, r u thinking 2011?
I would love to take a trip out west (or Texas) for some predators.

Wyoming would be beautiful, I know a former member of the PPHA moved out there, and he has some awesome pics from out there as well....let me know when, how long  and approx. costs.
THIS IS SPARTA!!

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
    • Middletown Anglers and Hunters Association
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2010, 01:53:46 AM »
I would def be interested in a hunt anywhere if some guys wanted to get something organized and hit the road...i've never hunted outside of PA so I think it would be a good adventure...I have a friend that lives near Denver, CO and says i'm welcome to come out there and hunt yotes on the land he hunts elk on, so that might be my first out of state experience
District 2 ...Dauphin County...~PA Fish and Boat Commission, Huntsdale State Fish Hatchery~ Trappers District 11
              "CritterDone"

Offline bdawg

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2010, 08:13:01 AM »
wyoming sounds like a good idea, anybody know what general area to go for coyotes??
district #1

Offline muttbuster

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2010, 10:47:17 AM »
bdawg, I've hunted the Worland Wyoming area. It's 80 miles south of Cody. There's thousands of acres of government land to hunt on for free. All two track roads. Tons of Coyotes, antelope, Whitetails Shire moose, Mule deer, Fox's Rattlesnakes, and many other animals including Elk. It's in the Yellowstone range. Bears too. Worland has a couple hotels and resturants and one sporting goods store owned by a guy that is more than willing to point you in the right direction. Also there are two breakfast dinners that the same locals go to every morning that are very friendly and helpful. Take a
trout rod for the Big horn river cause the trout are plentiful and are in  the 6 to 7 pound range.  I am planning to go back (health willing) this  year or next year for Antelope and Coyote. I may even play around with a Rattlesnake or two.
President PPHA

Offline catmando

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2010, 09:40:07 AM »
i have a couple friends that go to texas each year for bobcat and yotes. you will get alot of action there , its pathetically easy there compared to here, they got thier bobcats using a bobcat in heat tape, 7 guys 7 cats and all the coyotes you can shoot