Author Topic: Missed Again  (Read 1456 times)

Offline swarter2

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Missed Again
« on: February 20, 2010, 02:24:49 PM »
Well I ended my furbearer season last night with a miss.

I hunted 2 spots last night.  The first one I haven't hunted for a couple of years.  A matter of fact not since May 17, 2008.  Thats when I got my first coyote and was bit.  Bit in the sense thats what got me hooked on Predator hunting.  Any way, I set up near where I was 2 yrs ago along a thicket near some tracks 3-4 days old.  I stayed there for about 40 Min's, nothing.  Started walking back to the truck.  I saw some newer tracks down in a little valley.  So, I set up on the one and called for 20Min's, nothing.

I headed over to another farm where I have been hunting all season.  I packed light at this spot as the snow was deeper and my knees were starting to hurt.  I huffed it down to the pond and sat there for I guess 30-45Min's.  Nothing.  This is the spot I missed a coyote back in January.  It was getting late and I didn't want to stay there any longer due to the property owner being in bed and not well.  I cut thru the trees to the field to make a shorter walk to the truck.  I stopped every 15-20 steps to check my back trail.  The last turn I made I just caught eyes coming from the neighboring farm.  I thought it was a deer at first.  I kept the head light on the eyes.  It was moving a little faster then a deer I thought and it was blinking its eyes to much as well.  Mind you I didn't have my glasses, which would have helped.  I set the caller on top of the snow at my feet and turned on the vole squeal.  Yes it got the attention of the predator.  I didn't think the thing was moving, but just standing there.  I thought wrong.  It was heading right at me and I didn't realize it until it stopped at about 100yds or so.  I started to head towards me again.  It turned to go down wind of my location and stopped.  I put the red dot on the TC Encore 12ga, on its back, BOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.  I didn't see the eyes anymore.  I looked for somethings flopping around in the snow.  Nothing.  I paced off the distance as I went to where it was standing.  80yrds.  I didn't see any signs of blood or fur on the snow.  I guess I just scared the living day lights out of it.  It was a big coyte to.  Oh well thats hunting.
David P Swarter
286 Parkview Drive
Souderton, Pa 18964
Cell (215)285-1820
e-mail - swarter32@verizon.net
District 2
Bees Obrien Game Calls Field Staff

uncle buck

Re: Missed Again
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 04:38:03 PM »
That was truly an exciting story.  Hey even if you did not get it call ins like that will remain in your memories for years to come.. thank you for sharing that with us...