Author Topic: Having a Piece of the Humble Pie?  (Read 1609 times)

uncle buck

Having a Piece of the Humble Pie?
« on: January 19, 2010, 07:25:55 PM »
Out West where coyotes are suppose to be a dime a dozen.  People who have never hunted there think it's so easy to harvest predators there...
You get there...The wind is whipping up at 35 MPH, rain, try to find private land to hunt on after your there, no guide,  public land over called..or previous coyote contest held the week before.
You go there and you end up not killing one predator......Happened to me twice already...Arkansas and Washington state.....

Wow next trip....This is one Pa hunter that is going to do his homework... Not have nonpredator hunting kin find the lands to hunt, and give myself more time to hunt should the conditions be bad again...Who would go hunting in Ark when there was a hurricane in the Gulf of Mexico.. 
Yep I tried to call in the heavy winds but failed...Same for washington state...took me days before I could find private lands to hunt on...Also trying to predator hunt both times and also be on vacation with family proves negative too...

So.....Just like an Westerner coming to Pa it could turn bad if a Pa goes out West or North West or South West... Do your homework thats for sure....Also beware of big big weather patterns developing down in the Caribbean... LOL  LOL LOL
Kind of like going to the Jersey shore to surf Fish and have visions of large catches and TA storm is coming up the coast that changes everything...Might even need to check the weather patterns for the state your going for that given time of the year you want to hunt there...
Remember Corpus Christi...rains like heck in Jan...Might but a end to your fishing or hunting  in Corpus if you go in January...

Offline Duffman

• Senior Forum Member
    • DuffMan's Myspace
Re: Having a Piece of the Humble Pie?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 11:24:44 PM »
I have learned this just last week on my trip in Las Cruces, New Mexico at the Predator Masters Hunt. The week before, two contest hunts took place and almost 500 coyotes were taken! It was tough hunting for everyone. From Mr. Byron South himself, to DuffMan the newb, things were tough.
:":"DuffMan":":

"Lead, follow, or get out of the way."-Thomas Paine

Offline Duffman

• Senior Forum Member
    • DuffMan's Myspace
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 11:29:06 PM »
Another factor was it was my first time hunting in the southwest or anywhere else but PA for that matter. Now that I know the area a little better, next year may be different.
:":"DuffMan":":

"Lead, follow, or get out of the way."-Thomas Paine

uncle buck

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 12:39:38 AM »
Duffman read your story on the other web site... Outstanding story and hunt. Your smiles in your pictures told how much you were enjoying your  hunt out of state.  thank you for sharing that with everyone.  How did you like using the AR? that had to be awesome?