Author Topic: called in 2 this morning.  (Read 2654 times)

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
called in 2 this morning.
« on: November 06, 2009, 05:48:16 PM »
me and a buddy started hunting at 12:00 a.m. this morning.   about our 3 location, i set up on this huge cornfield for fox.  wind was blowing right down the edge so i set the caller 10 yards into the field off the corn and sent my buddy 100 yards down into the field, i stayed by the caller at the corner of the corn incase they stayed on the inside of the corn and popped out at the corner.  I started with 1 minute of rodent in distress very low, went to cotton tail very low for 2 minutes then same sound med loud for 3 minutes, switched over to baby cottontail very low and i hear bang so i keep playing hoping to draw in another one, waited about 10 minutes and i can see my buddy walking back and forth where he shot, so i pick up the caller and walk down to him.  he said when i switched over from the loud rabbit to the lower higher pitched rabbit, two coyotes ran out of the corn 30 yards away from him and he shot at the second one.  we looked for it but couldn't find it, thought maybe it got into the corn and died, checked for about 15 minutes and couldn't find it.  the other dogs in the pack started barking and howling at us from about 500 yards away in the corn.  not a good feeling looking for a coyote in standing corn at night.   in my buddies defense he was set up for reds, we never saw a yote on this property and it is close to town.   he was using 2 3/4 copper plated #6.  we did go back this morning, found i small tuff of hair and the tracks, no blood, followed them in the mud for at lease 200 yards and nothing.  he either had a flat out miss or just stung it.   anyway it was an exciting stand.  

also when the pack started barking at us in the corn,  another pack on the mountain started howling.   seems like this farm may go from a red farm to coyote farm.  
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 05:49:21 PM by scott »

Offline Seeking_Coyotes

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: called in 2 this morning.
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 08:34:44 PM »
Hunting fox with #6 shot is questionable to me.   I use it for crow.

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 08:37:00 PM »
yeah, mee too, but he is new at it and shot a grey fox the other night at 10 yards, so i can see what he was thinking. 

Offline swarter2

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 10:02:55 AM »
So what shot size would you use?
David P Swarter
286 Parkview Drive
Souderton, Pa 18964
Cell (215)285-1820
e-mail - swarter32@verizon.net
District 2
Bees Obrien Game Calls Field Staff

verminator

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 05:20:03 PM »
Dead coyote (T shot) or 4 buck

Offline 220_Woody

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 05:45:40 PM »
Hey verminator....good luck this evening!!!  ;)
A critic is a legless man who teaches running.
- Channing Pollock

verminator

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, 05:56:49 PM »
OK ?  Do you know something I don't  ???  But thanks I need it after the week I've had  ;D

Offline Seeking_Coyotes

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2009, 08:25:58 AM »
+1 Dead coyote (T shot) or 4 buck

uncle buck

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2009, 06:08:38 PM »
# 6 shot is OK if it's Hevishot...One way to get more pellets and have a shot type that hits real hard...Even at 50 yards...Negative side is that it cost $$$$$$$$$quite a bit for Hevishot....
I have killed red fox with # 6 shot Remington Hevishot but I picked it up at Walmart on after season clearnance...
I would not go out and buy it at regular price to hunt fox.......

Right now with the Corn.....Even duck and pheasant type # 4 shot will kill reds and grays close.   Like around corn where the shots are are from blank to 30 yards....

If there are coyotes around and your hunting fox.....Again might be costly but you might want to use a Buffered # 4 shot turkey load...

After the corn is cut and the fur becomes prime....Like real soon in the NEPA tier.....Might want to start to move to Lead 2's  or at least # 4 buffered shot....

Learn to grab the buffered shot, Tungsten shot # 1, and Hevishot after season...Pay $7.00 to $8.00  instead of $34.00 for 10 shots

Better yet try reloading using buffered or nickel plated lead shot to save money$$$$$

Offline 220_Woody

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2009, 08:17:41 PM »
OK ?  Do you know something I don't  ???  But thanks I need it after the week I've had  ;D

was talkin to Leglifter saturday....said you two were headed out to call together that night....was just wishin you good luck is all  ;)
A critic is a legless man who teaches running.
- Channing Pollock

verminator

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2009, 09:23:09 PM »
220 Yeah, bob said he talked to ya. You threw me for a loop thats all. We saw no fur other than a rabbit Willie was able to walk up to about 10 foot or so. Bob lip sqeeked a doe to us about 15 or 20 yds, that was fun other than that nothing. We think the bow guys coming out might have pushed everything away. Sooner or later it will come together so they say.