Author Topic: Western PA  (Read 3635 times)

Offline redq23

Western PA
« on: December 19, 2008, 11:00:44 PM »
Anyone know any good spots in southwest PA or northwest PA, im just startin out and try to get out a good bit but no success yet, any tips for a rookie? thanks

longhair

Re: Western PA
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 06:02:55 PM »
Right out your back door would be a good start. You'd be suprised how a small area would hold a bunch of game. Leave your gun at home and just call. It darn near always happens with me that if you have a shotgun, a long shot presents itself. And visa versa !!!! >:( Don't count your success by the amount of fur on the ground. Some of the best times that I have enjoyed has been just call'n and talk'n to the critters. But to call them in close and let them live for another day is sometimes better than the kill.

Now if your into the fur thing, that's different. Also if there's problem critters, then BOOM !!!!!  ;D

Where's about you from in swPa ? Or should I ask n,e,s,west of the burgh. 8)

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 10:55:17 AM »
FOX everywere. The smallest patches of woods and brush hold fox.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 12:10:26 PM by foxpro51 »

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 06:28:59 PM »
I live in SW Pa. and I'm having a tough time. I seen alot of reds all archery season and killed two but haven't see anything since rifle season ended. How close are you to fayette city? We can use my foxpro if you have a good light.
FayetteNam

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 06:36:09 PM »
i live in jefferson hills by turnpike 43. Fox hunting is easy. You need the right tools and knowledge. There is more fox around here than you can believe.

longhair

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008, 07:49:55 PM »
Predator77, Fairhope, not to far from ya. ;)

Offline redq23

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2008, 10:34:18 AM »
I live in the southhills of the city

longhair

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2008, 12:06:26 PM »
Was comming home from the burgh wed and seen two guys in FO hunting across 885 from the airport. (behind heavy equipment training site).  There's some neat little spots that are over looked by most folks. To bad ya can't hunt on airport property. ::)

Offline redq23

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2008, 07:45:15 PM »
yea man i know right where thats at i get up hills on the other side of that some times

longhair

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2008, 09:26:51 PM »
I've seen some other places but the safety zone issue comes into play. I always try to let my wife drive on these trips so I can eyeball all those little gnarly areas. Jefferson hills ain't a bad place either. One of the biggest bucks I've ever seen was walking the ridge behind the sheetz. I was at bowser getting work done and made the mech let my truck down off the lift to get my binos. I didn't realize that there was that many hunters working there. Needless to say, there wasn't much work getting done for about 15-20 minutes. ;D

longhair

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2008, 09:59:44 PM »
Ya know, I should stop talk'n like this. Some of the other members from the "east" might start slobber'n all over their keyboards and short out their puters. :P

Offline bigt

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2008, 11:22:10 PM »
Brownsville pa here some great hunting between here and fayette city

longhair

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2008, 05:37:03 PM »
Yep, but too bad alot of it posted. :( In my younger days, always wanted to the hill behind assads scrap yard. :P ( that's posted now)

Offline kyle21

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2009, 06:35:23 PM »
When i was goin to school out there i used to run a trap line for fox that i would check on my way to class out around the oakdale and mcdonald areas used to do pretty good. you could check that out.