Author Topic: coyote/fox hunting problems  (Read 1726 times)

Offline kyle21

• Junior Forum Member
coyote/fox hunting problems
« on: January 05, 2009, 03:29:22 AM »
hey guys..... iam fairly new to predator hunting only really my 2nd yr even tho i havent had much time to get out my 1st yr. When i first got my e-caller i went out a few times not hunting just excited to see what it was like, i called in a few reds and greys in the first evening seemed easy....well i was wrong as you probly figured since i have only got maybe 2 or 3 to come in. im not real sure what i been doing wrong i use everything from cotton tail and rodent distress to grey and red pup sounds i got a rabbit decoy and everything but nothin seems to be workin for me, so lately i been trying mouth blown calls and had even worse luck haha. So i finnally had enough and iam lookin for some advice just got a new gun .223 savage predator hunter and wanna make some fur fly. i live smack dab in the middle of cambria county so if anyone knows of what i can do to turn my luck around and tell me what iam doin wrong id be greatful since i seem to be the prime example of why its called predator hunting and not predator killing.

Offline 220_Woody

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: coyote/fox hunting problems
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 07:19:35 AM »
first off....welcome aboard. are you a member?

couple idea's for ya...

~scout your properties to see exactly how much sign of predators there actually is. if they are not in that particular piece of property...you obviously won't call anything in. a good place to look for scat is at road and trail intersections or at the crests of small hills/rises.
~keep your calling volume low for the first couple series and increase your volume as you call.
~don't call too much....one 30 second series every 4-5mins is enough to let anything within earshot know your there.
~most importantly watch your wind...have it either at your back or coming crossways. i prefer it coming from right to left as i'm right handed allowing me to swing downwind on a circling fox or coyote.

keep at it and don't give up...it'll come together for ya. ;)

~Woody
A critic is a legless man who teaches running.
- Channing Pollock

Offline kyle21

• Junior Forum Member
Re: coyote/fox hunting problems
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 03:55:03 PM »
eh not a member yet, and thanks seems to be a great site.

i know the fox are there ive seen quite a bit of sign and even the occasional coyote tracks every once so often while scouting in the late summer since i try to do my archery and predator scouting the same time, and ive seen em every so often deer spottin early fall. thanks alot for the advice i never really payed much attention to the volume and legth of calling when i got into it i had some local guys tellin me just set it about 3/4 volume and let it play for about 15 or 20 mins. guess i just tryed to trust them since they had more experiance never really thought much into over calling with too much volume, which deffanatly makes sence. thanks alot woody