Author Topic: New to Coyote Hunting  (Read 1887 times)

Offline brianlt21

New to Coyote Hunting
« on: December 06, 2008, 10:18:46 PM »
I am new to coyote hunting I live near butler Pa lots of coyote but no clue what i am doing been out a few times but no such luck yet also I use an e-caller and hunt during the day

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: New to Coyote Hunting
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 07:25:46 AM »
Welcome  brianlt21,
I been Coyote hunting for many years and share the same results this season...LOL (been out a few times but no such luck )
Our local population of Coyote were hit with mange and not many around this season.
brianlt21, since rifle Deer season is in full swing, I might suggest scouting an area where Deer hunters don't frequent. By that...little human pressure. Thesehere areas seem to be 'hot spot' during Deer season for 2 or 3 weeks. One such spot in my area is near a housing developement. Not yet fully developed, lots of heavy brush and brairs. After Deer season...pooof  they're gone.
After Deer season, Coyote have their PhD (and some their Master Degree and Doctorate) in survival. They avoided traps or had their toes pinched, Archery, Small Game, Turkey and Deer hunters have taken a crack at 'em, hounds have chased 'em and Fox Callers added to their education.
The bulk of harvested Coyote are already killed, skun and dried by this time of year.
Do some in-season scouting and get on top of 'em to increase your odds of success.
My best to you.
Hern
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 07:28:37 AM by Hern »

Offline brianlt21

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 09:20:31 AM »
also what sounds do I use and where can I download them??

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 11:47:36 AM »
Concentrate on fox. Coyotes are often by chance here in Pa. unless you know were they are. I find hunting coyotes is easier during morning and evenings hours than at night. I hammer the fox at night. I get the same results out west. Bobcats and fox at night, Coyotes during the day. I would suggest a decoy day set up for coyotes. Set decoy 50 to 75 yards away. Sit back and hammer them when they lock onto decoy.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 11:59:44 AM by foxpro51 »