Author Topic: got out the other evening for yotes  (Read 3826 times)

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
got out the other evening for yotes
« on: May 29, 2008, 11:11:45 AM »
went out the other evening for yotes,  after my first series of calls and nothing happening i figured i would take a walk up to the end of the property and call in another location,  on my way i saw a raccoon on the logging road looking for acorns, it didn't see me yet, so i put  the caller on the road and stepped about 25 yards into the woods, i was going to play the raccon fight to see what reaction i would get.   i turned the call on and it took off like a bat out of H$LL.    so i pick up the call and head to the back of the property, there i set up and started with a distress fawn for about 45 seconds and shut it off and waited after about 10 minutes i heard something come over the stone wall from behind me, so i slowly turned and it was a doe, so i figured i would have some fun with her, i played the call and she didn't even bat an eyelash, she just kept on eating, i don't think she is going to win the mother of the year award.  didn't call in any yotes but i did see some fresh sign.

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 07:52:11 PM »
Scott
I just saw your post. Do you wonder how coon puppys might have worked this time of year and what for fawn sound did you use.
Ernie
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 08:45:19 AM »
Ernie,

I have a johnny stewart remote control caller, i was using his fawn in distress,  he doesn't have a coon pup or i would have tried it,  my choices were raccoon fight, raccoon/grey fox fight/  raccoon and bird and there is another one i think it is just a medeowlark.  thinking back on it, he or she was about a medium size coon, i should have tried the raccoon and bird first.   i wasn't going to shoot it, i just wanted to see a reaction.  

Scott

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 11:34:46 AM »
Scott
 There are a ton of reasons why he may have run off, but you are thinking along the same lines I am thinking. Just was wondering why you used that sound. Also I never thought you were thinking of shooting him.
I never had much luck with any fawn distress played on any caller for deer. I use a mouth call and it seams to either scare them off or run around and snort or they sometimes they almost run over especially this time of year.  I usually will keep calling a little differently until one or the other would happen. But I would not have left her pay no attention to my calling. I always learn something that way.
Ernie
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 08:47:19 AM »
i am not sure what her deal is, she is a big old doe that we are trying to take out of the heard because she hasn't had a young one in a couple of years, i called to her several times with the fawn in distress and nothing, i turned up the volume and nothing, i switched to a kid goat in distress and nothing, i learned nothing from her what so ever.   i think she may be educated like everything else behind where i hunt.   (educated by me)

BP

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 04:15:10 PM »
Scott, Be an optimist, maybe she's deaf! I know for a fact there are tons of deaf criters where I call.

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 06:26:00 AM »
predator hunting have been a very humbling experience for me.    i have been hunting for over 25 years and have held my own when it has come to waterfowl, archery, blackpowder, but with the predators, i seem to make every mistake i could possible make and the learning process seems slow to me.  most of you guys on this forum call your self predator hunters, i am a predator educator.   then again, maybe the are deaf in the area i hunt.  but i know this i love to be in the woods and love to call critters, one day i will figure it out.

longhair

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 02:29:35 PM »
After hog hunting last night, I thought I'd try a few calls just for locating purposes. Didn't get any response from the yotes but three does and a buck didn't like what they heard. This one doe came to me on a dead run as if she wanted to kick some butt !!!!! I goofed with them for 30-40 minutes.

uncle buck

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 11:25:12 PM »
Scott something tells me that come this Fall your going to get a crash course in predator calling?   Who knows what kinds of predators  will be coming into the calls?  Maybe the coon will be coming back in for a look see. Come November it will be prime then.  Read in Fur Fish & Game  that coon is going to be were the money is at this year??????/seems like the buyers have enough of the Grey Fox stashed away from last year.  
Anyhow who knows what will show when the calling starts? Could be a coon,  grey fox,  red fox, coyotes, and bobcat. If you have your permit maybe you get yourself a bobcat?  
Good Luck calling I think your going to do real well this year?

Should you get out early in Oct try the grey fox pup sound after you used a food sound.  Post close by the speaker when the using the grey fox sound.  maybe only 2o to 30 yards to the side of the speaker. Aim the speaker down wind of your position.   Now keep watching down wind because that is where those red orange eyes of a coon or grey will appear.  Make sure you shine the tree tops with you light after your done calling using the greyfox pup sound.  Coon like that sound to and they come in and climb the nearest tree.  Do you have a 22  pistol?  If you see coon in the tree shoot them with the 22 rim fire not the 12 gauge.  However use the 12 gague on the grey fox.

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 12:34:43 PM »
I am looking forward to learning in November, I think we are going to do really well on the fox and coyotes and i know i can put us on a cat if need be.  i am really hoping to get a tag this year.  

are you making plans to come up for the first day of ducks?   I have been working the dog a couple of times and the rust is almost gone.

uncle buck

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2008, 10:44:50 PM »
So many things to hunt but so little time to do everything.  I will probably be hunting deer with the inline , squirrel,  and or predator hunting there after.  Maybe even go grouse hunting.    I know after the new year I will be hunting deer with the flintlock.  I have also decided to do some goose hunting later on in January.  Who said when your retired you have all of this time to do everything?  The problem is that I am doing everything both in the woods, water, and at home too.  Also might even try to get out this year and hunt some rabbits with my brother and his friend.

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2008, 07:20:45 AM »
UB,

I know what you mean this work thing gets in the way of everything,  i have some time yet, but i am going to retire at 50 if possible.   if you decide you want to come up for ducks let me know.

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2008, 07:21:48 AM »
UB,

Also, on your list of things to do, you forgot icefishing in January and February.  lol.