Author Topic: best areas in south western pa???  (Read 3155 times)

Offline madcatter

• Junior Forum Member
best areas in south western pa???
« on: September 20, 2007, 04:50:55 PM »
are wooded areas better for coyotes than open farming terrain .what is the terrain and topographic features that seem to be prefered for coyote home areas.i have been fox hunting for years and havent heard any coyote activity in my areas but have been hearing of people who deer hunt say they have spotted them.i only have heard howling activity 2 times.how big of a home range will they have around washington county????
thanx for any input

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 05:19:38 PM »
first off welcome to the site.  

as far as their range I believe that it depends on if they have what they need right there where they are or not.  I have had for the last 4 years a pack of coyotes that occupy a farm and they never really seem to leave.  every year they are there.  there are some regulars that post here that are from that region that might be able to help narrow it down.
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline bootmud

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 08:19:27 PM »
In farmland country away from any mountainous ares, I think if the coyotes have food, cover, and water with enough room to roam without constant interference from humans they will stay for years.  At least in some places.  I'm sure some will leave to new parts but other will stay.  I have one particular area like BB describes as well, they are there year after year. These places are usually a large roadless area with fields but lots of woods.

bootmud

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 03:15:12 PM »
This is an interesting question and one I have pondered a few times.  First let me start out by saying that I do not know the terrain in whashington county and have never hunted it, this is purely my views on the subject.  I think the best bet for consistancy is rural farmland up against the base of a mountain or hillside.  

Coyotes are all about food and breeding.  The fields hold a lot of food, birds, rabbit and mice.  They can see, hear and smell prey at further distances in a field which makes for more opportunity.  However, they are a very shy and timid animal and prefer to stay within cover and hidden during the day more than night.  You don't often see coyotes mousing in a field in the middle of the day for good reason.  When breeding, you will almost never find a den in a field unless there is a rock or brush pile around it, again for very good reasons.

Many hunters think coyotes are the biggest, baddest and most aggressive animal in the woods. As a result, hunters are often advised to be equally aggressive and challenge the coyote with loud, long calls.  I say just the opposite.

First off, you can't hunt a coyote thats not there.  You have to locate first.  I like to give a couple yips then a short and broken howl.  I'm not a believer in long aggressive coyote vocalization here in PA and use more animal distress sounds than anything.  Don't get me wrong, I am forced to hunt sometimes without locating and that's the way it goes.  You will be more succesful though with scouting.

I read somewhere that you have to give the coyote what he expects to hear and see, not something he does not.  I firmly believe in this statement.  

A coyote is more likely to call the thickest, roughest terrain his home here in PA and the less pressured the better.  They do need to eat and the fields are good for that.

So, I guess you could say I really have no possitive answer for you but thats what coyote hunting is all about.  If we could predict their every move, there would be no coyotes to hunt.  

So find a farm with thick and brushy areas that border the base of a mountain and have at it.  Good luck with all your hunting...........Tim
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

longhair

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 03:23:59 PM »
How would a swampy area play into this ??

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 11:27:38 PM »
You had to bring that up!  Now I'm all confused.  I think the edges of swamps would be good but watch that your scent doesn't blow into the swamp for fear that there is one holed up in there.  I never hunted a swamp so it's just a guess.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline madcatter

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2007, 04:54:06 PM »
thanks for you input.i have acess to a large trac of land that much of it is unacessable by road/foot.a few years ago i would bike into it and turkey hunt,i am planning to hunt it for fox/coyote this winter,it looks promising with feilds,brush,nearby woods etc.it has given up many fox but is kinda a hassle to get to in the dark.i am planning to setup on or near a big slag pile and just distress call.when i am gonna leave i think i may move a few hundred yards and just howl to see if i can hear any reply.is that a standard practice????i really am just interested in fox but if some yotes are around i am willing to find out their habits.
how big is a average family unit in pa??

BP

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2007, 08:33:44 PM »
After your distress sequence, DON"T move before you howl. They could already be on their way to you.