Author Topic: government Web sites...Hunting in other states like pulling teeth  (Read 3898 times)

uncle buck

Always cracks me up when you go to the National Park for example web sites.. The area that reflects you can communicate with us if you have a question:  Fill in these blocks give us your email and phone number and we will get back to you.. You do it and 9 times out of  10 you never hear from them.. The Men from Uncle just don't work to good do they... I use to be a Man From Uncle.. I use to work me tail off that's why it could bother you so.

Recently I have been hanging out in the Harrisonburg area of Va... It's about 183 miles from my home just down Int 81. wow!! VIRGINNNNNNNY!  12 bobcat a year for an out of state hunter to take for about $105.00 a year.. That's the small game tag too...Not only small game but fox, coyotes, and bobcat you can harvest with that out of state license.. I want to hunt on the National Forest there which is open to hunting...George Washington National Forest.. You do have to get permits and such to enter to hunt.. However wow if your a deer hunter .. $82.00 more and you can take  3 doe and  3 bucks with the gun.. It's a bit extra of course for archery and or flinter but not much more..  So I have been trying to break the codes and find out how to get my butt down there and start to hunt predators..

By the way.. Va....AR semi automatic rifles and hand guns approved,  night hunting with lights approved, Sunday Hunting, . coyotes and fox unlimited... Now you do have to have a warden tag the bobcats but isn't that like it is anywhere in the East... I actually have 2000 acres that I can hunt on what they call Massanutten Mountain which is right next to the George Washington National Forest.. Oh ya the Shenandoah river is right at the bottom too and it's loaded with Small Mouth and Musky!!!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 11:51:15 AM by uncle buck »

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
Re: government Web sites...Hunting in other states like pulling teeth
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 08:50:28 AM »
Unclebuck
Sounds like a good spot. Have you hunted there yet?
 I find with out some help from people that live there it can take a long time to learn the area.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 08:58:45 AM by Buckwheat »
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline coyotejohn

• PPHA Members
  • Senior Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 12:14:46 PM »
. I want to hunt on the National Forest there which is open to hunting...George Washington National Forest.. You do have to get permits and such to enter to hunt..

Was not aware of such B.S. on a National Forest.  Out here all we need is a state hunting licenses.  I hunt the Coronado National Forest almost every time I go out, never needed anything but my state license.   
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 12:18:38 PM by coyotejohn »
“Fate whispers to the warrior, ‘You cannot withstand the storm.’ And the warrior whispers back, ‘I am the storm’.’”

uncle buck

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 12:30:51 PM »
CoyoteJohn. You even need to pay to fish in their Va State Parks too!
Permit for this and a permit for that!  To fish it cost about $ 5.00. Fishing license for out of state people not to bad.  $$$$
When you think about ? The National Forest and parks we own them yet!??????

uncle buck

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 12:34:14 PM »
Buckwheat good thing is you remember Model99er from my web site. He is from out by Hunnington in Pa however he lives in Cremora Va. Thats 30 min from that 2000 acres. He has all kinds of hunting and fishing lands too. My next visit thrre we are going to have a meal together and talk.

uncle buck

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 12:58:52 PM »
What I think that's neat is for $82 out of state big game license you can shoot a deer, bear, and turkey all on the same hunt.

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 02:54:39 PM »
UB,  I agree we own the forrest, but don't forget it takes extra money  to maintain things.   Thats probably their reasoning for the extra $$$$$.
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline coyotejohn

• PPHA Members
  • Senior Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 06:34:51 PM »
UB I have a friend who works for the FS and I told about him what you said.  He replied that he is unaware of any special hunting permit other than a state license to hunt on any national forest.  We lived in VA for about six years and never had to pay for a forest service hunt permit, just a state license.  You may have to pay extra if your going to camp/ATV or use any other facility but never for hunting. 

I can understand the permit fee for state parks/fishing etc as that is primarily funded out of state revenue.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 06:37:53 PM by coyotejohn »
“Fate whispers to the warrior, ‘You cannot withstand the storm.’ And the warrior whispers back, ‘I am the storm’.’”

Offline Dale

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2015, 07:14:09 PM »
my dads family is from the Harrisonburg/Bridgewater area...  there is a lot of good hunting and fishing in the area... good bass in the Shenandoah, and good trout fishing in a number of limestone streams in the area...
when you step out the truck, you become part of the food chain...

Genius by birth....    slacker by choice!...

uncle buck

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2015, 08:26:54 PM »
Ya Dale I just saw there are three trout streams around Massanutten..Mossy Creek, Spring Creek, and Smith Creek. I want to do some trout fishing down there... The resort has Canoe, and Kayak float trips for $39.00. 4 hour trip on the Shenandoah.. You use their boats and they even jockey you back and forth for that price too... If you wanted to use their rubber raft it's $29.00. The Shenandoah suppose to be good for Small Mouths and Musky!