Author Topic: Dry Spell  (Read 2909 times)

Offline K-dogg

Dry Spell
« on: February 03, 2015, 03:01:15 PM »
Hey guys,

I'm new on here but am on a few other forums as well. I have been out a bunch of nights the past month and have not been having any luck at all. Is it just this time of year thats making it tough to call? Also, could the deep snow be an issue and if so, how would you go about calling in the deep snow? Any other tips would be appreciated to break this dry spell.

Thanks for the help

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Dry Spell
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 03:46:55 PM »
A few of our members have experienced the same thing,  myself included.  For some reason I seem to experience a "January lull" in activity.  Some conclusions were due to it being mating season,  due to the cold, they are more active during the daytime.  Not exactly sure why,  but you're not the only one who has experienced this.
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline Bigcat

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 04:03:52 PM »
Same here. But on my last set Saturday night had eyes. Hope to find a kitty tonight.
Home D-5
Camp D-3

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 04:58:41 PM »
K-dogg, welcome.
Give us some details, such as; how much snow do you have? Crushed or Fluffy?
Are you calling for  Fox, Coyote or Bobcat?
Are you calling the same spots or new territory?
What sorta sounds are you using?
Is anyone else hunting the same area? If so, are their results the same as you?
I ask so maybe we can find a solution to the dry spell.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 05:01:28 PM by Hern »

Offline K-dogg

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 07:52:54 PM »
I'm in the central part of the state. I would say we have about 8-10 inches right now. It is crusted over on the top which makes for pretty loud entrances. I'm mainly targeting fox( greys and reds) and coyotes, but a few of my spots have produced cats in the past. All the times I have been out, I have never seen anyone else out calling. As far as sounds go, I usually start with some soft rabbit or bird distress. I continue to get louder throughout the stand. Eventually I switch to some grey fox pup distress. Usually if I know there are yotes in the area, I will mix some howls(diaphragm and foxpro) in as well as pup distress to finish things out. I usually call my spots and then rest them for a couple weeks and then hit them again. As far as terrain goes, I hunt farm fields surrounded by thick woods. I also have family property that is a  whole side of a mountain probably 2 miles long. The sign is there, I'm just not sure how to set up(wind blows parallel with the mountain.) So if anyone with mountain hunting experience would chime in, that would be great too.

Thanks for the help!

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2015, 06:41:00 AM »
Your answers sound fine and hard to pin point the problem. Our snow is about the same but before it was crusted, things were slow. Once crusted, Canines can travel as if on cement.
One thing, maybe your Canines have found a food source away from your hunt area. These conditions, this time of year, All it takes is someone butchering Pigs or Beef Cattle and dumping scraps or dragging a dead Cow, Horse or Pig to the back forty will draw a bunch of predators from long distance.
Breeding is about over and Canines may be all about themselves and mates at this time. By that, getting to know one another and their territory and doing Canine things that don't involve responding to a distress call.
Maybe someone else will offer some insights to your dry spell.

Mountain hunting...
Imagine no trees, take the trees away in your mind and read the lay of the land.
Canines usually travel the way water flows.
As far as mountain side wind, hunt the cross wind.
You mentioned 'the sign is there'. So I would say this is the sunny side of the mountain? That's were the prey is.

K-dogg, why do you think the dry spell is happening? What's your thoughts?

Offline K-dogg

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2015, 07:00:32 AM »
Honestly, I feel the reason why my success has dropped off has been the heavy snow. It seems like after we got snow, my sightings decreased drastically. I just wanted to see if anyone else has been experiencing limited success now that we have snow on the ground.

Offline HDRoadking3058

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2015, 07:32:13 AM »
Like jake said kdogg. January is a tough month, it gets really tricky. Mating season, winter really sets in with tough conditions. My worst would be crusted snow that can't be walked on without blowing everything out of the area upon entrance. I try not to walk too far in - just far enough to be legal. For me, November and December are very productive months. After that, it definitely separates the guys that are good from the guys that got alot to learn. Myself being the latter.
Tim
Westmoreland County
District 6

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2015, 09:08:04 AM »
Let's als remember that by now there a lot fewer in the woods due to the previous 3 months of hunting and trapping.  Success is always high in the beginning because of the higher numbers of critters out there and there is a whole new batch of   ones that have never been called or shot at.

There are a lot of variables to be taken into consideration
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2015, 04:38:12 PM »
3058 and 23 have sound reasoning.

A few weeks ago, the snow wasn't too deep and enjoyed going out as the Coyote cooperated. Then snow after snow, and things changed. They moved or were struggling with the deep snow as much as I was. I had to fine out why.
Our snow crusted Monday night, not enough for me to walk on, but stiff enough for Canines to travel on top. Sunny days this week takes the crust off, then refreezes overnight.

I've been hunting pretty hard the past few weeks with snow cover.
Been after Coyote and finding them and Fox in dense cover. Thick, overgrown areas where snow hasn't knocked cover to the ground, Pine stands, slayings and such.
I don't usually talk about my hunts, but want to share this odd one...
I killed a Coyote this week about a hundred yards from an abandoned farm house. I back tracked this female because I didn't see her coming from long distance as I expected. Back of my mind, where did she come from? Her tracks took me to the back side of the ole house, exposed stone basement wall, a doorway with ole door hanging on one hinge. The ole door hung cockeyed which left a gap (opening) at the bottom right. That Coyote was holed up in the basement. I walked around the ole house and didn't find any more sign. Dang Coyotes.
I hunted today seeing one Coyote but didn't get a shot, then a cold wind blew me home. I was going to hunt Friday morning, but weather man is calling for record cold temperatures...yikes...Well, maybe later in the morning.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 04:48:38 PM by Hern »