Author Topic: tough conditions  (Read 2415 times)

Offline foxhound

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
tough conditions
« on: January 05, 2015, 12:11:35 PM »
Finally got a decent covering of snow to see tracks. Unfortunately it looks like some tough conditions for the week. Windy and temps in the teens!  :-\  Do you guys think critters will hunker down for days on end, or is it still worth giving it a try?
District 5 coordinator

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: tough conditions
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 02:28:03 PM »
It will be tough hunting under windy conditions. If you have to hunt windy conditions...Ravines, Hollows, Pine stands, Thickets and places out of the wind are options.
Temperatures in teens will put Canines on their feet. They will be moving for sure. Raccoon will den up till warmer temps return.

Offline foxhound

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 09:13:25 PM »
Thanks Hern. Appreciate the tips. Unfortunately I didn't get to give it a try tonight. Had to replace garage door sensors. Crapped out today and the lady of the house needs to be kept happy. Tomorrow is another story.  ;)
District 5 coordinator

Offline Bigcat

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 01:22:32 AM »
The wind was down tonight I called one in but got busted trying to get my gun on it.
Home D-5
Camp D-3

Offline foxhound

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 08:34:32 AM »
Bigcat.  I saw that the wind died down when I was done with my project. Just didn't have time to get out after that. Hoping the wind stays down tonight. Glad to hear you called one in. I'm in D5 also. What part are you from?
District 5 coordinator

Offline Kyle5865

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 10:52:31 PM »
I went out tonight. It was very nice right at dark but I couldn't get out until about 6:30-7. Walking into my first set there were fox tracks going into a thicket so I knew I had a chance. Got setup on a high point of the field and called for 20 minutes. I never saw an eye so we packed up and started to leave. On the way out, we saw fresh fox tracks that were coming right towards our set in a small dip in the field. The fox must have snuck right down over where we walked to our set and went down over the bank. I guess go back and try to pull him out another night. Went to the second set and saw more fox tracks. Started calling and the wind just took of around 9PM. After that, we called it a night and went home. Before this storm came, my buddy actually killed 2 gray and 1 red.

uncle buck

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2015, 10:09:09 PM »
I use to hate the winds... However like Hern posted you have to hunt the ravines... Try this .....tactic during heavy winds... Find a farm that has a hill that goes straight up and the other side drops down...Using a shotgun walk up to the base of the hill with the wind at your back.. it going to be strong so they won't smell you.. Now using a electronic call place it in front of you about 30 yards up the hill.. Get in direct line with the speaker and stand behind the call. let it rip.. Use a woodpecker distress or a Mature jackrabbit. a sound that carries well in the heavy winds... See the predators are going to be just over that hill on the leeward side.. that's the side the wind blows to but is protected.. The predators field mice are up there out of the wind on the leeward side and so are the predators just up over that hill on the leeward side... There is less wind up there then on the windward side your going to be posting on.. they will hear that call and they will come over the top of that hill and your shots will be in shotgun range...See what would you do if it was windy.. You would get out of the cold wind... So that is what the predators will do during windy nights.. they will go on the leeward side of the hill where the  wind is not strong and cold... try it I think you will see you will get some shooting....  Don't worry about them smelling you since I'm talking of winds that are up to 15 mph or more at your back... the scent never reaches them because of the heavy winds blowing from you to them the scent is broken up before it gets to them.....
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 10:14:05 PM by uncle buck »