Author Topic: Hunt Like a Pro...  (Read 3016 times)

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Hunt Like a Pro...
« on: May 11, 2014, 08:19:33 PM »
Hunt like a Pro
Pennsylvania predator hunting is a game of experience, knowledge of furbearers, planning, time management, desire, weather, animal density and Hunting  territory.
Using professional tactics, part-timers can achieve constant, successful results.
Pro's have a plan and alot of time and territory to hunt.
Most part-timers hunt within 5-10 miles of their home. Expanding your territory will add fur to your shed.
By that, if one area (your township) is 'dead' (from other hunters or hound hunting and such), another area maybe 'hot'. This is an example of an adapted plan, where alot of territory comes into play.
Having a larger territory enables a caller to take the cream off and move onto the next area. Reworking the 1st area later in the season after dispersal repopulates. Rotating areas pay off. Sometimes even rotating every other year.
Rain or falling snow may be a factor for a hunt, but 15-20 miles away the sky may be clear. Having a larger territory is a huge plus for a fur hunter.

Planning and TIME can make or break a season.
Plan to run a circle or cloverleaf line from you home to avoid backtracking. This type of planning will cut down on expenses of gasoline, tire wear and vehicle maintenance.
The Pro's have more time to hunt than a part-timer. So add time to your routine (but don't quit your day job!). Hunt and call whenever you have the time. Make extra TIME. Hunt an hour or two before or after work, learn to make TIME. Get committed, get serious at this point.  More TIME = More FUR. Experience is gained, plus furbearer knowledge and equipment knowledge is gained with more in-the-field time. You will gain confidence, and feel comfortable with your setups and style.

Pro's keep set-ups, calls and equipment simple.
Pro's pay attention to detail and have their basic skills honed and so must serious Part-timers.
For the most part, Pro's set-up according to wind direction, know their territory and use the same basic call and cadence. Yes, pro's have their 'change up calls' but every stand is about the same as the last. Staying with the basics, honing your skills, will add to success. As you progress, you will carry less equipment and use the calls that work in your area.

Preseason and in-season scouting is an ongoing planning project for the fur killer. Pro's do and part-timers must learn and prepare to make adjustments and adapt to weather, competition and critter movement throughout the season.
At times an area will be 'dead', then several weeks later, hold a good population of fur. Here is where Canine dispersal fills a gap. Traveling canines fill this space with no other challenging canine for this territory or food.
Canines and Raccoon move as crops are havested, nuts and berries rippen, weather changes, human pressure, extended cold periods, snow, and extended deep snow. Canines have dispersal period in early fall to mid-December and breeding season in January. Following the fur during the above times will put the odds in your favor. Plan on it.

It's a long, hard season to put enough fur in the shed to pay for the gasoline, hunting license or some Christmas presents. For the most part, it's hard work week after week playing this game. Lack of time, bad weather, competition, low fur population and such can bring a so-so predator hunter down. But a true Canine or Coon man has learned to make adjustments and keep producing. Hard work, indeed.
Hunt like a pro and stay in the game all season.

Hern Blett
PPHA member

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Hunt Like a Pro...
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 09:41:48 PM »
Hern,

I always look forward to reading your posts!!  They are always filled with great info and wisdom.  You are a true asset to the boards!!!
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 06:26:14 AM »
 ;) ;) Thanks Hern, you be "Da Man"  :o :o :o
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 08:15:42 AM »
Thank you.
I wrote this piece a couple of years ago.
It sorta reflects how I progressed. I am a part timer, but a serious part timer.
In the mid-80's I did depend on a fur check to pay our bills, for 2 seasons by Trapping and Calling. At this point, I had 20 years experience. When I had to pay the rent or groceries, I began to pay attention to details and blend in Professional tactics to my style. When you 'have to' pay bills, I looked at the fur game a bit different than most folks.
After these 2 full time seasons, I got a job with a time clock. But I continued to be serious about trapping and calling and tweaking my style and honing my skills. I continued to be a serious part-timer with a professional attitude and approach, if that make sense and my above post is trying to convey. And to this day, I continue to learn about critters or ammo or equipment.
I do feel with reasonable animal population and stable weather, a so-so predator caller certainly increase his yearly kills that may surprise himself, just by increasing his territory and making extra time to hunt. It sounds simple, but dedication and hard work is needed.

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 08:48:35 AM »
As always awesome post hern.
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline Bowman66

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
  • Work the bolt and give'em a jolt!
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 04:13:23 PM »
Great read, thank you Hern!
In your opinion what kind of numbers does it take to be an extremely successful season?
Darin Hosier
Bee's O'Brien Game Call's
Pro Staff

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 09:55:01 AM »
B'66 asks-
...what kind of numbers does it take to be an extremely successful season?
That's a tough question.
I don't usually talk 'numbers' because it's difficult for some folks to understand.
But I'll try to explain 'numbers'.
We hear and see a few guys racking up good or huge number of kills. And we assume they are a top notch predator hunter and they more than likely are just that.
In order to achieve 'numbers' year in and year out, one must have a good population of predators, a good size territory to hit different family groups and time to cover that territory. Also stable weather, good health, and the drive/goal to keep on going. It's hard work to rack up 'numbers'.
That's how I see 'numbers'.
So we see a guy from SE Pa.(Red Fox mecca) rack up good 'numbers' on Red Fox. Or a fella from Northern Pa. rack up good 'numbers' on Greys or Coyotes.
Let's reverse things,Swap these guys around and they wouldn't do the 'numbers' in different areas using their methods and calls, because the 'numbers' aren't there. No big 'numbers' of Greys/Coyotes in SE Pa., No big 'numbers' of Reds in Northern Pa.
Just trying show how 'numbers' can be confusing. These 2 guys are top notch, nobody can call what is not there. The 'numbers' game is what critter is available and how hard you go after them.
Coon are statewide and guys can rack up good 'numbers'. I feel Coon is the most overlooked by Predator Callers in our state. We have good population and call in multiples at some setups and they are fun to hunt, lots of action.

I like to look at percentages. When n Where is my best chance. I feel many part-timers have as good or better percentages of kills as the pro's do.
Why? Because a part-time is short term (not using the whole season) but knows his territory well and animal density, for the most part.
I've know some guys (one night wonder) that made impressive kills for a night or two or three. Then a time or two after that, nothing. They lost interest because they dried up the honey hole and had no idea to move to new territory. Their pictures were impressive and 'numbers' were impressive. One could easily be lead to believe they were great 'numbers' guys.

So my take on your questions, '66, depends on what area the state you hunt, if you have a good population of critters, what your goals are and you have time to get after them.
The true 'numbers' guys are the hardest workers. Period.
So what kind of 'numbers' does it take to have an extremely successful season?
That depends on you...
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 10:16:51 AM by Hern »

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 07:30:23 AM »
Some more rabbling...
The past 30+ years Pennsylvania had steady population growth of Coyotes.  Then came 'Coyote Contests'.
Coyotes=New predator callers and hunters and new manufactures sprang up to sell products
As I see it, Coyotes have been the main contributor to the recent popularity of predator calling.
More folks wanted to win Money (and get to hunt something after Deer season).
Many folks considered a Coyote as a Trophy or right of passage to predator calling. Our Coyotes have changed Pennsylvania predator hunting in most of the state. Many novice callers hunt for Coyotes only. They are missing the boat by not calling Coon or Fox. But some novice Coyote callers have since learn to hunt Fox and Coon and are enjoying some success which keeps them in the game.
So lets rewind...
Predator Calling has been around before the Pilgrims landed and possibly since the Stone Age. (even a Cave Man can do it)
You think you came up with something 'new'. Probably not. Read some material from Government predator control men and the men before them. These old time G-men use the same style of closed reed and open reed mouth calls used today. Some used Cow horn, Elk horn or Antler for calling. They killed impressive numbers or a single livestock killer (one of the hardest to kill most of the time). Most modern day predator callers never give though to these men before us. Modern mouth call makers advertise 'the latest and greatest' products, in reality its nothing new, if you look back far enough. Today, many Mouth Call manufactures produce fancy, exotic wood, or antler or horn hand made calls. But the sound is what is important. Fancy wood/buffed horn SELLS and catches the buyers eye. The sound is nothing new. At this point, I will say the e-callers continue to improve with available technology, but distress sounds are nothing new, manufactures are just improving electronic sound quality.
The use of decoys for predator hunting is nothing new. But someone is always coming out with 'the best ever'.
As we continue forward,Lets not forget our history.