Author Topic: conversation with a ghost  (Read 2108 times)

Offline predhunter23

conversation with a ghost
« on: March 18, 2014, 03:49:00 PM »
Last weekend I was hunting up in cameron county near sinnamahoning, I went out for coyote in the evening. About 5 minutes into calling one howled back in front of me not far at all. We went back and forth for about a good 15 minutes howling, barking, etc. He never came in what could I have done to seal the deal? Also what calls are you guy a using this time of year?

Offline Huntin 4 yotes

• PPHA officers.
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: conversation with a ghost
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 05:23:37 PM »
Same thing happened to me two weeks ago. Never seen him.   I guess it's a learning experience. most of the ones I've ever shot come in completely quiet. 

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 07:26:50 PM »
jmo but howl once maybe twice and shut up.  they know your there.  I honestly think too many people vocalize too much.  there are so many different types of howls out there and honestly the only people that know what they are saying are canine.  again JMO. 
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline predhunter23

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 08:08:41 PM »
It would make sense that you can over vocalize. I will have to try that this weekend in the tioga mountains. Thats the thing I love about hunting for coyotes you always learn something new every time you go out!!

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 09:11:27 PM »
+ 1 on Bigben's post.  Sometimes I'll just let out a female whimper or two, then go silent.  I also agree with Ben about there being too many howels and barks....Pick the wrong one, and you could send a non-dominant dog running in fear....JMO
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!