Author Topic: Statistics so valuable to the predator hunter!  (Read 2439 times)

uncle buck

Statistics so valuable to the predator hunter!
« on: October 14, 2013, 09:51:11 AM »
Stats:  if interpreted can help you call in more fur.
For example: just looking at More Stats area below on the PPHA home page can tell you as a club what people really are interested in.
It tells you 10 most areas of this forum people go to.
Tells you 10 most topics they viewed.
10 most  topics people responded to.
10 top posters.
10 PPHA members on line all the time.
PPHA officers by interpreting this can determine by views and post what things PPHA are most interested in!
Even in our day to day stats tell you how our country is doing and what people think.

Every hunter should keep a log book and record data on their hunts.
Weather conditions, wind velocity, direction of wind, hand drawn maps of animal harvested.
Calls used, time on stand, etc.
as time goes on the data you annotate will develop a pattern of data.
You can start to use this from then on to set up.
Also a little narrative of actual hunt in the log book will be a history of your hunts for family members down the road. Who you hunted with etc etc.
I have stumbled on calling technique by doing this.
For example how to call in reds in daytime based on a certain sound used.
Read everything on coyotes. People in college do thesis on coyotes. Thanks to a friend on here I got my hands on one filled with their opinion on the Eastern coyotes. All kinds if stats to interpret and comprehend.
For example author wrote on when their researched revealed they would be more vocal.
Also where they place their dens or hang out, or when they were more likely to come to calls. All stats that can help you.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 09:59:15 AM by uncle buck »

uncle buck

Re: Statistics so valuable to the predator hunter!
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 09:56:12 AM »
Another good way to get good stats is to go to lunch with EW! Pay for his lunch too.
Just listen to him!
Maybe you guys should just meet for breakfast or lunch some more and just listen to all the stats that come from key PPHA members mouth. I have the up most respect for EW. I have learned much from him just having lunch with him. 

uncle buck

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 10:30:58 PM »
Also learn to do analytical data on your hunts.  I am always checking what is the actual percentile of something happening.. Lets use this for an example:
 Let say Kevin posted   873 topics  on this forum.... And there is  7107 topic total...So if you take  873 topics Divided by 7107 Total Topics =  Kevin provided 12.283 % of the post on the forum..

Now lets look at it what  a predator hunter might want to discover:  Will do it simple Let say he made 10 stands and called in  5 predators... So  5 predators  divided by 10 stands = 50% success rate of calling in on his stand...  Now lets say he called in 5 predators and harvested  4..   4  divided by 5 predators called in is a 80 % success rate. Things like can give you more foresight on your success and on your failures too...

Just say you called in 40 fox and you missed 10 of that  40.  So  10 fox missed divided by 40 = 25% missed of course the 75% killed...

Let say  you killed  26 red fox this past year.. You called in a total of  83 red fox...26 red fox harvested divided by   83 red fox called in equal a hunting year kill rate of = 31.32 %   Now you can take all of this data log it in a book and each year you can compete against yourself... Just by doing a simple division of the lesser number by the higher number... Of course you so good and you killed all  83 of those  red fox and your percentile would be  100%. 

Again this is how you can compete against yourself... Learn to analyze all kinds of things that will improve your hunting skills...

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 10:36:09 PM »
Uncle Buck,  Funny you mention this.... I was actually planning on getting a small note book to carry with me to keep similar data.  I was going to try to keep track of what farms I hunt on what days, what times I call in predators (if any), what type of moon it was,,,,and if I was able to close the deal.
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline Bowman66

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
  • Work the bolt and give'em a jolt!
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 11:53:09 PM »
Jake I'll bring a pen!
Darin Hosier
Bee's O'Brien Game Call's
Pro Staff

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 09:06:17 AM »
I did it for 4 years and seen a pattern so now i dont really keep as good of notes as i did before. But i havent done as much hunting either.
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”