Author Topic: hunting tip  (Read 2420 times)

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
hunting tip
« on: February 18, 2013, 08:52:56 AM »
I read somewhere that when hunting in the breeding season and you have a pair responding shoot the female first and the male will stick around.I have tried this and it does work at least with fox.So how do you tell which is which?If a pair is coming in its usually the male leading the way,So take a crack at the second one first and the male usually won't go far before he turns around.

Offline Carl

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
Re: hunting tip
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 02:46:26 PM »
I think in general females are smaller then males

Offline Brushwolf

• PPHA officers.
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 09:08:34 PM »
When you say that you tried this and it works does that mean that you shot the back one frist??

Offline zekedogg

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 09:14:01 AM »
I'm not sure if the male leads the way or not, but it just makes sense to shoot the trailer first.
Rick Comport

Pennsylvania Predator Hunters Association

Offline coyotenightmare

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 01:38:09 PM »
I have shot the first on several occasions and has always been a male. Thats always been at night when I didn't know a second one was coming till after the shot. During daylight I have never called in two at  a time. Only singles...but I feel kind of rusty since I didn't call at all save for 2 times the entire season.

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 07:41:37 AM »
Brushwolf,That is correct,shoot the second one in line first if possible.Its tempting to shoot the first one because he's closer but the end result may be better if you shoot the trailing one first.I don't normally like to hunt fox in breeding season but a friend of mine pursuaded me into some late season hunts.I told him to expect doubles which was the case almost everytime.And after some discussion we agreed that we would take the second one first and in most cases the male would run a short distance and stop.