Author Topic: How would you trap coyotes in the hard woods...  (Read 6003 times)

Offline icecube

• Senior Forum Member
How would you trap coyotes in the hard woods...
« on: September 18, 2012, 02:28:12 PM »
I've see coyotes from my treestand 4 times in 5 years but they came in different ways each time. I've see tracks in the log roads at times and I hear them a lot when I'm on stand archery hunting. I'm going to try to trap some this year and just wanted to get some idea's how to go about it....ED

Offline swarter2

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: How would you trap coyotes in the hard woods...
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 08:04:07 PM »
Put up  fence
David P Swarter
286 Parkview Drive
Souderton, Pa 18964
Cell (215)285-1820
e-mail - swarter32@verizon.net
District 2
Bees Obrien Game Calls Field Staff

Offline Brushwolf

• PPHA officers.
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 08:37:46 PM »
I would make your sets right along the logging roads. Flat sets and dirt holes. I would not go to stinky of a sent(call lure) in the early season unless you want to catch possums. I would use that later in the season when the possums start to hold up from the cold. It might take a couple of weeks and it might take the frist  night. Make sure your trap is set rock soild ( The trap should not wobble at all in your bed ) before you start to cover your trap. Good luck and dont forget to post pics.

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 09:59:21 PM »
Location is critical!Try to determine were their going to and how they are getting there.An example I can think of was years ago I was trapping coyotes in the mountains.There was coyote sign in a clearcut at the base of the mountain and also at the top of the mountain and a small discrete trail connecting the two,probably three miles between the two areas.They had a three day cycle.When you had action at the top it was dead at the base at vise versa.I did not set any on the small trail but was certain that was their travel route from point a. to point b.I did double set both feeding areas at the ends of that small trail and got a double at the lower end and a single at the upper with one remaining for seed.How do I know there was another one?This part I will always remember,when the third one was caught and before he was to depart he left out an alarm howl of some sort and was answered briefly up that small trail a ways and that area went dead the rest of the season.Hopefully that was a helpful story.

Offline coyotenightmare

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 07:46:47 AM »
I have had great success setting up along logging roads. Especially at intersections. Don't give up after the first night. I have set up in old log yards as well with great success. Most of my trapping is fencerows.