Author Topic: First time coyote hunting...  (Read 2710 times)

Offline Treitz2010

First time coyote hunting...
« on: July 12, 2012, 08:52:25 PM »
I'm a first time coyote hunter and so are my buddies who will be with, however, we've hunted all our lives. I'll be hunting up in the Clearfield and Elk County areas which is mostly mountains and forest. I was wondering if anyone would be willing to help me out and give me some of their tips like what works for them, what time of day to hunt, basically anything that could help me have a successful weekend hunting. Anything would be appreciated  8)

Offline takemrarely

• Junior Forum Member
Re: First time coyote hunting...
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 04:44:22 AM »
Not to take anything away from the predator hunters on here, but a member of Hunt PA .com put together a very comprehensive tutorial...It can be accessed here:

http://www.huntingpa.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2023486#Post2023486

Welcome aboard.....

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 09:58:07 AM »
I suggest scouting be your number one concern at the moment. If you have been hunting for years i am sure that your woodsmenship skills are allready decent. Find where they are and you will have half the battle won.
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline takemrarely

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 04:48:11 AM »
Agree with Ben.

Find the scat....that's where there at!       (LOL)

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 10:55:06 AM »
I'm not a great predator hunter and I think alot of that is because of lack of properties I hunt. Since I recently moved, I am forced to travel and let my areas calm down in between stands. Before I would just walk around my hunting woods almost every night after just leaving them from bowhunting just hours before. Most of my success has more times than not depended on moon and the position of it. Example, just two nights ago I went out during the new moon and it was going to be under foot around 12:23am to 2:23 am. I went out earlier and I seen two fox, one coyotes, two feral cats, several coons and a ton of deer during that time. I have also taken fox during daylight hours when the moon was out. the best advice I can give would be to accumulate as much hunting ground as possible so you can give your animals a break from being called too.
FayetteNam

Offline jerad188

• Junior Forum Member
  • South eastern District 5
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 09:44:37 PM »
I hunt clearfield and Jefferson county . I'm still am amateur but from what I've noticed personally, they are more talkative and howl more on dark, moonless nights, but have called more in on bright nights with fuller moons. They just came in quiet. And slow
Like I said I'm amateur and this could be just random coincidence, but hey its how my hunting has gone.
Addicted to fur for sure

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 10:33:46 PM »
I would concentrate my coyote hunting efforts in the mountains to the daylight hours.Yes you will hear them at night but their hard to get in the timber at night,in my experiences.