Author Topic: Jackpot!!  (Read 3739 times)

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
Jackpot!!
« on: August 27, 2012, 09:19:01 AM »
First time I ever found them around my area and by dumb luck too.  Know what they are?

How about these?  First time I ever found these.  They are edible but we did not eat them.  Couldn't get over the slimeyness.

Not sure what these last two are.  Any help from you mushroom guys?

"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Jackpot!!
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 10:36:41 AM »
Good job Timmy!!
3rd one could me a meadow or horse mushroom
I believe the last one is a stalked puffball

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 01:11:26 PM »
Thanks Bob.  I will have to do some research on that last one.

I couldn't believe all the different types of mushrooms in this area.  Must have seen 10 or 11 different kind.  Of course we have been getting a good bit of rain lately.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 09:24:43 PM »
First ones are chanterelle I believe.Your starting to get me interested in these things.I saw some of these just recently but didn't realize they were edible.

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 08:12:15 AM »
You are correct and very good eating.  Some say they smell and tatse a little like apricots.  I don't know if I would go that far but they are good.  The other ones are called green jelly babies.  My book says they are edible but i didn't eat them because they are slimey and you would need a lot of them to make a meal.

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 09:50:14 PM »
I found some that that is orange like chanterelle but is layered like coral.But its not jack-o-latern.I can't identify it.Is there a good book for identifing these things?

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 10:40:58 PM »
I figured out its chicken of the woods.Its considered the vegetarian replacement for chicken.Kind of tastes like chicken and definitely has a stringy texture like chicken.

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 08:03:15 AM »
Yes, they are also called sulfer mushrooms.  They vary in color from a pale yellow to orange and even almost white.  They are good to eat but I prefer the young thin ones or just the edges back about an inch on the older ones.  The thicker it gets the tougher it is.

Sorry, yes there are books.  Leglifter has a good one, not sure what the name is.  I have one call Wild Mushrooms of Pennsylvania by Bill Russel.  I like it because it's mostly just mushrooms you would find in our area.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 08:07:54 AM by Lookn4Fur »

uncle buck

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2012, 02:07:47 PM »
Lookn4fur: Real nice batch of Golden Chanterelles... I like to take three or four of them... Get me a Mason Jar... Place them in the jar... Pour in your favorite Gin or Vodka.  When the Chanterelle sink to the bottom the now sipping Vodka or Gin is done...I strain the Chanterelle with a cheese cloth and use it in an egg then.  I like it with Gin.  Seems like I the Polish Vodka taste better to me... Save your bottle so you can return the now Chanterelle flaovered sipping vodka or gin.  I have mine for years now...I don't drink much but it's just nice to make things from the outdoors out of things... I might take a shot Christmas morning...

The mushrooms on the bottom are choice white puff balls.  They are good.  Just watch you don't get a baby Destroying Angel Amanita in your batch... Just slice it open to make sure you only see white and no Volva.. However the two in the picture are choice edibles while they stay white.

The other mushrooms...Purple one is probably in the Cort family... Most of those are dangerous... Not sure if you have a Blewit or not... That one be the only one in that family that you can eat...I kind of stay away from them... I Probably need to go to more forays with my club to see Blewits... As you know we don't  THINK... I do think it's a Blewit... But don't eat it... Check it in your mushroom book to see if it is a true edible blewit...But don't eat it..Like I saw so many and most of the Corts are poison!!!   

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 11:09:56 AM »
Thanks, UB.  I only eat the things I am absolutely comfortable with.  I did not eat any of those except the Chantrelles.  I must say they may be my all time favorite, even better than the Morel.

I like the Vodka idea but I'm not a big drinker.  Maybe give some away as a gift?  I was reading the other day that you should not dry chantrelles because they get tough and loose some flavor.  Has anyone ever dried them before?  I really want to do that to keep them longer but not if they are going to be no good.

uncle buck

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2012, 12:44:42 PM »
I freeze chanterelles! Take a freezer bag place the desired qty inside for a meal. Run water into the bag that covers th shrooms. Remove the air! Seal up and freeze the chanterelles in inside the ice and freezer bag!

The longer you leave the chanterelle in the gin and Vodka the better the flavor! So even when they sink let the Chanterelles in for a good two weeks there after!