Author Topic: Fox hunting and wind direction  (Read 2542 times)

Offline Deerhtr

• Junior Forum Member
  • Critters Taste Good
    • Gary's Home Page
Fox hunting and wind direction
« on: January 20, 2012, 12:45:20 PM »
Tonight I'm going to be hunting for fox out in some corn fields
but the wind direction will be blowing towards them per looking it up on scoutlook.com.

Do fox really go by thier nose and would I be wasting my time trying to call for them?

There's no way to call from the proper direction because they would bust be walking in and I would just be calling where I came from.

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Fox hunting and wind direction
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 02:02:13 PM »
Sounds like your setting yourself up for a bust.

Offline Deerhtr

• Junior Forum Member
  • Critters Taste Good
    • Gary's Home Page
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 03:18:42 PM »
That's what I thought.
Thanks

uncle buck

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 05:25:28 PM »
If you have an electronic caller aim the speaker down wind..    Now get cross wind of the main speaker sound beam...Post about a minimum 50 yards down from the main sound beam but set up crosswind.  The farther you put the speaker out from where you going the post the better it will work better for you... Get in the crosswind side  of the Tree line or edge that you don't think the fox will come from to you... If there is a wood lot on the hill chances are the fox will be up there so post on the opposite side of the field..    If you have a remote then your OK... If you have a manual predator electronic call let it rip for a good while with either of these sounds:  Field Mouse,  Baby Cottontail or  Woodpecker distress.  Good rule is never post crosswind on the side that has the most cover... Fox are probably in the heavy cover..  In other words, not much of a tree line,  your stubble corn, then heavy cover across from the field or in front of it... Post on the not much of a tree line side.. Probably you best bet will be a rifle since your going to have to be in shotgun range of the main sound beam.. See all predators will come into the wind most times but they will get in line with your loudest part of your speaker...  By aiming the speaker down wind and setting up cross wind you should be able to get a shot as it travels toward the speaker and it should be in the loudest part of the sound beam when it travels to the speaker..  Just make sure your not in line with the main sound beam and that your cross wind of it on the best side which is the side with the least cover..
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 05:30:46 PM by uncle buck »

Offline Seeking_Coyotes

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 07:57:43 PM »
In urban areas I have actually called in fox from down wind on rare occassions.  They are used to human smell close by.  Never happens in more rural areas.

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 09:18:34 PM »
Just get out and call it. you never know what swirls the Pa wind will play.
They could get to your down wind side and present a shot before they spook.
I say go for it and good luck!!
Let us know

Offline Deerhtr

• Junior Forum Member
  • Critters Taste Good
    • Gary's Home Page
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 06:25:39 AM »
NaDa last night. Not 1 eyeball.   >:(

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
    • Middletown Anglers and Hunters Association
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, 04:04:44 PM »
can't shoot'm on the couch (pretty cool if we could tho)...we only had one set of eyes before the show came down pretty hard last night that we couldn't make stuff out through the scope...keep trying, predator hunting aint easy, otherwise everyone would do it
District 2 ...Dauphin County...~PA Fish and Boat Commission, Huntsdale State Fish Hatchery~ Trappers District 11
              "CritterDone"

Offline Deerhtr

• Junior Forum Member
  • Critters Taste Good
    • Gary's Home Page
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 04:17:16 PM »
Now here's a question, Do you see more eyes (or them coming to the call because of the lack of food) when there is snow on the ground or not?

I would assume they would be more likely to come because of the snow.

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 04:43:12 PM »
I think canines are always hungry, theyre very opportunistic.
I see the most critters when a bad storm is coming, and it seems that the more stable weather days we have before the front, the better.
Also, I see alot after a long stretch of bad, freezing weather, when we get a major warm up

uncle buck

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 01:15:21 AM »
It's going to Horn time soon... Red and gray fox fights and coyote vocalizations will work outstanding.. Sometimes food sounds will not work but if you go to puppy whines, fox barks with chatter they come running in real fast... Start off with food sounds first and then prior to departing your stand try a few differnt canine distress sounds...Also Let the JS Red & gray Combo rip... I never called in any grays with that sound but I sure did call in a lot of red fox with hankering for things other then food.. either a particapant of a good fight or the Horns...This is a good time to play all your red fox sounds that you have on your electronic callers or make your open reed mouth calls talk fox...