Author Topic: Keeping with Traditions  (Read 2089 times)

Offline my7pointmonster

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
  • Doubled Up
Keeping with Traditions
« on: December 26, 2011, 12:32:07 AM »
Well this year marked the second year of a Christmas tradition. We went out Yote hunting didn't end up making a harvest but that's not always what matters, the heart pounding action and the memories created far make up for not getting a coyote. SO keeping with tradition I usually try to come out with my addiction once per year, this is the once for this year. (My addiction is story writing by the way) So strap in and hope you enjoy the ride with me here while I try to take you on the trip with me.

Ryan.

The wind cuts through my jacket as I step out of the vehicle that has been my comfort in this journey. I know the journey that has brought me here has only been a prelude to what is to come. The night looms over the land and hangs heavier than any memory of nights come to pass. The night is right and its time to move to what I've come for. I look at my partner and he knows its time, and so the trek begins.

Farther and farther down the trail we go, winding with the contours of this beautiful star struck land, no moon to guide us tonight, we must rely on what god's given us. The cold air freezes my teeth as we close the distance to the destination. Brush so thick, so close that I can feel the eyes watching our every move, "Just keep your cool You're the alpha dog" I told myself over and over. Only a nod confirms what the two comrades know is the perfect spot. A gesture is made and the setup begins, it all happens quickly now, like a well oiled machine, wind is checked, call is placed, guns at the ready, spots picked for the ambush, now there is only the wait.

Seconds tick by like days, the time seems to stand still in the pitch black darkness of our hide.  The wind has died down making the silence deafening. I look down at the timer and I know, its been long enough, as what was unsettled has become settled again, but not for long if I have any say in it. Quickly I give the ceremonial thumbs up and fist bump the two journey men have arrived at last, at home, in the darkness deep in the woods.

My heart beats so loudly I can hardly hear the lure playing with its most sincere tone, begging, pleading, for the pain to stop, by any means necessary. What this poor rabbit wouldn't do for a coyote just to come and end it all. The time flew by, with no response. I silenced the dying rabbit and now the wait was on. The taste of latex in my mouth was reminding me of what choices I had in this scenario. The options raced through my mind and finally I had made a decision, at the 25 minute mark I would make my move. Sliding the call to the roof of my mouth, the fate was already sealed.

The cries cut through the hollow and across the bench, deeper and deeper I dug, begging pleading crying, anything it would take to do the job. As if coming to answer my cries for help and cries of pain, I saw it, no time for nerves now. I gave the understood elbow to my partner as, the game was on. Its do or die time. The eyes glowing red as charcoals staring straight into my eyes I could feel the hunger and the aggressiveness in the stare. "Be still, calm, cool and, collected" I thought to myself I closed my eyes and released the stressed air that I had kept inside. I watched as the eyes then disappeared into the blackness again, as if falling into a black hole never to be seen again. My heart was pounding a different beat now, a broken beat. So many things ran through my mind what to do? how to do it? what will get the job done? so I made the decision, fade off, make it believe you, and take back control.

The steam from my cries slowly started to fade off and I knew that if I didn't catch a glimpse of those charcoals cutting through the darkness that it was all over. Seconds ticked by again like days stretching on and dragging my heart over the red hot coals. I peered into the darkness trying to will myself into this intruder. As if the stars had aligned I caught the glimpse of the eyes again, cutting through the darkness and cutting through me with no mercy, no remorse, just the hunger of a desperate animal. Then just like smoke in a breeze, they were gone. My emotional high has been destroyed again. I can feel the wind blowing across the top, cutting closer to the prey with every second.

It was again decision time, I reached down and decided I've come this far, why not make it happen, "Make your own luck Ryan" I told myself as I reached into my side pocket and felt the cold, smooth finish of my call. Like a kid with his first Harmonica I played a serenade of a dying rabbit followed closely by the terror of a dying mouse. I pulled the call down from my mouth and made as little movement as possible as I let it hang from my lanyard constantly scanning the timber in front of me starting so hard I couldn't even notice the trees anymore, and to my amazement, here the eyes came, walking down the road, with its nose to the ground searching for any scent it hit me, this was one smart predator, cutting through the timber straight to the wind, attempting to cut us off and deny our hopes and dreams the eyes disappeared from the road and back into the timber.

Seconds ticked by turning into minutes, and my heart slowed from the adrenaline pounding blood pressure spiking moments that had came to pass. As I knew the jig was up, they prey had gotten the better of us on this star covered night. The thought ripped through my mind "If only I had a rifle, this would be an entirely different experience"

The double bump signaled the end to the stand. Sneaking out so quietly that made a mouse seem like a jumbo jet on take off, we made it back to the vehicle where the real celebration took place. The high fives were flying as we had came so close to achieving what we came to do so close I could taste it, The story was told from both perspectives as we laughed and stood in total amazement that we had done it. So happy, so proud, I couldn't be brought down from my high point, I had done it, I had called in my first Coyote, even though the result was less than what I had wanted, I now know what I can do it, and I had done what I set out to do, Prove to myself that I could. Keeping the Christmas eve and Christmas day tradition alive, my Christmas eve was complete, a tradition fulfilled a tradition of good memories and good company.

Hope you guys enjoyed it.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 12:45:46 AM by my7pointmonster »
District 4

Offline Team Howler

• Junior Forum Member
    • Lycoming Fence Company LLC (Personal Business)
Re: Keeping with Traditions
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 02:06:46 AM »
Great story!
Hunt safely!
District 3
Matt Brown
Arsenal: Savage Model 12 22-250, Tikka T3 lite Stainless .233, Ruger model 77 mark II .243, Tikka T3 Lite Stainless 25/06
Tools
FoxPro Firestorm w/ Fox Jack, Kill Light 250 and 100, Various Hand Calls

Offline Musky73

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 01:49:25 PM »
You got a great talent there! Keep it up!
district 2

Offline my7pointmonster

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
  • Doubled Up
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 03:51:22 PM »
Thanks guys, I appreciate it. Didn't turn out exactly how I wanted it buy then again I'm sorta picky.

Ryan.
District 4

Offline Jake

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 08:54:27 PM »
You got a lot of Talent, Great Job!!! :D
It is, What it Is.

Offline my7pointmonster

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
  • Doubled Up