Author Topic: First night's successes and failures.  (Read 1748 times)

Offline my7pointmonster

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
  • Doubled Up
First night's successes and failures.
« on: October 23, 2011, 03:29:52 PM »
Well, I learned not to pass on shots anymore. I shot the first fox to come in to us, and I figured OK I'll let my buddy shoot from now on. I've killed a bunch and he's killed 2 or so, so I figured he could do the gun work. Well the set that I shot mine on, another came in with it about 10 seconds after I shot it was about 20 yards out when I first saw it, I told him to kill it he pulled the gun up, no shot no shot, its coming closer and closer, comes in to about 6 or 8 yards to the right of us, still nothing, he said he couldnt get a bead on it, well it turns out he actually never saw it.

But before that, we made a stand at a spot I missed at last year looking for redemption, I used the backstabber to give it a different look, did the set for about 25 minutes, nothing, sure enough same as last time we stand up walk 40 yards BAM! there it is. I said quick grab that cover, we got setup on a hillside (sorta) looking down into the bowl, he was about 60 yards,  I hit the backstabber and he came bouncing about 20 yards then stopped. sat there for about another 15 minutes and never saw him again, we snuck out though so maybe another night.

Next set, is the one I never saw, it came in where I thought it would (the way he was looking) and never committed, he said he was staring at it for about 10 seconds at 25 yards, never shot?? anyhow it skirted us then never came in he said it circled down my way but I never saw it.

Then on the last stand of the night we were walking to the spot i wanted to set up and we spotted one I told him to sit at this tree I sat the call 5 yards from us and came back turned it on, he was sitting facing the one we saw, then I look to my left and theres one standing looking at me at 45-50 yards I told him hey this ones coming spin over here. he spun and it got to about 15 yards and it was getting sketchy I told him to shoot it, and he did (missed) then the other one came in watched it from 60 yards down to 20 where it sat down and was looking I told him to take his time I counted to 10 and said Kill it. He shot and This one he hit, found about 6 drops of blood in a 80 yard span, I spent 6 hours saturday (daylight) looking for it never found it.

Overall we should have had 4, maybe 5 of the 6, just didn't work out that way, there's always next time and I still haven't hit any of the prime spots yet.

Not real happy with how this picture looks but there it is anyhow, I should have taken more or looked closer to this one. I always try to take quality pictures (ones to be proud of) this one doesnt fit my standards.

Ryan.
District 4

Offline jeremybrua

• Seasoned Forum Member
  • i can can do it because i dont know that i cant.
Re: First night's successes and failures.
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 04:21:29 PM »
How does the fur look?  Good job,  if you got the shot take it.  I learned that last year.

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 04:30:33 PM »
 ;)

Offline Rosko

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 08:58:19 PM »
nice grey, not that bad of a picture, I just wish I could figure out how to post the picture and not the thed ha ha

Offline zekedogg

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 11:07:51 AM »
keep up the good work
Rick Comport

Pennsylvania Predator Hunters Association