Author Topic: Bobcat sign  (Read 2645 times)

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
Bobcat sign
« on: October 10, 2011, 08:16:36 PM »
I need some information on what to look for when scouting for bobcat.I found a small mound of leaves that appeared to be raked up from both sides,there was no scent but with all the rain any scent is long gone.Could this have been done by a bobcat?I was in a very dense swampy area which I believe is suitable habitat.Also there is a large clear cut nearby.Am I on the right track?

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Bobcat sign
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 08:40:53 AM »
Was there scat under the leaves or a recent kill?  Cat toilets and food stashes are good sign.  They won't be together though.  Cats like to cover that stuff up.  Habitat wise sounds good as cats do like to frequent or live in that type of terrain.  Places like that tend to have food when others don't, especially in the winter.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Renny

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 08:55:19 AM »
Heres a bobcat toilet....  hope this helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9W5u11V7LM

Renny

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 09:01:36 AM »
I think your on track also.  I like to look for tracks to see size and population.  Although this is a bad time of year sometimes I clear spots and try to bring cats in to get a feel whats around.  If I find a track that is 3 fingers wide its game on.....

Here is where a cat has covered up some dinner.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 09:05:49 AM by Renny »

Renny

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 09:10:56 AM »

Offline my7pointmonster

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
  • Doubled Up
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 09:26:22 AM »
Man, this is an awesome post guys, I've been trying to find more information on Bobcats this year I'm going to try to get my first just needed to arm myself with more knowledge first. What types of terrain do you guys look for also?

Ryan.
District 4

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 06:21:48 PM »
Good information guys! Renny, I don't think the cat I'm after is that cultured. The pile of debri I found did not have anything in it and I give it the sniff test and there was no odor but with all the rain I figured it was long gone.I kind of passed through the area in a hurry and did not investigate as thoroughly as I would have liked.I will check it out more at a later date.Its very unique habitat for the area.Saw deer and coon sign,mink sign and even sneaked up on a bear that didn't know I was there and watched him for about 5 minutes.Estimated his weight about 210 pounds.Seems like it could be a honey hole.I did not know about the segmented droppings,good point Renny.