Author Topic: Shots spooking predators  (Read 2741 times)

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
Shots spooking predators
« on: June 07, 2011, 05:54:54 PM »
Do think that shots fired at approaching predators have any impact on other animals approaching?

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Shots spooking predators
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 06:11:47 PM »
I think everything has an impact on an approaching animal.
I called in a young female coyote at 9am a few minutes after my shotgun went off in my lap.
I'm sure it may have some impact on them but it may be to the good.
I've also missed fox, and standing out in the field looking for blood, seen eyes approaching.
In my opinion of course

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 07:06:39 PM »
A suprise discharge would really get the heart pumping.I agree that just because a shot was fired its not over by any means.I almost think the working of the action does more harm than the gun blast.Jack the second shell in the chamber while the first shot is still ringing in the air to cover the sound. 

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 09:54:39 PM »
I would think most seasoned hunters have shot more then one predator on a stand. Sometimes the second critter is there with in seconds of a shot just fired. I have called up to 4 red fox on one stand with shots fired on 3 of them and have seen a person miss a red fox 5 times on one stand,even though this is out of the line with a normal hunting stand.  I to believe the shot can change a stand, but not enough to give up on a good stand. If the critters has no other connection other then the boom of a gun, most cases they are not smart enough to figure a man is there that wants to shoot them. If there is talking, movement or some out of place noises,have dirt fly close to them or have been shot at before or the shot noise is so close to them they feel a threat then it makes a difference.
If for any reason a animal can reference that noise to a threat to them they will flee. If no known threat relation to the shot, why would they leave other then it is to noisy there?  ;D
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 11:00:52 PM »
Buckwheat,I'm certain if your tripod was used that five shot miss would not have happened.

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 11:17:41 PM »
I would not count on that! I have seen some bad shooters no matter what they use.
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 06:41:11 AM »
I remember someone on here saying that, while ground hog hunting, after they shoot a ground hog a fox would pop up looking for the hog.

gunshot=num nums in some cases.

I remember watching a bear come into a spring gobbler set up, when I was younger hunting with my dad.
The bear hung around( probably smelled my snacks) until a shot rang out a few hundred yards away.
The bear left and headed straight for the shot

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 07:33:54 AM »
only time I ever had it effect em was if the shot got close to em.  IE a miss. 
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline zekedogg

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 10:06:01 PM »
Sometimes I think it's not so much that it bothers them as much as when a shot is fired it is so quick and crisp sounding that they really aren't sure where it came from some times.
Rick Comport

Pennsylvania Predator Hunters Association