Author Topic: are they worth it?  (Read 2052 times)

Offline prdtrkilr223

• Junior Forum Member
  • There aint no such thing as too dead...
are they worth it?
« on: April 01, 2011, 01:42:34 AM »
I hav a johnny stewart pc3, two grand c,  d3 predator stick, one screery,three quaker boy and three knight&hale predator calls. I don't. Think I spent more than 20.00 apiece for all of them. Is there really that much difference between these and say a custom/hand made call? If so, could yougive me any info on which ones are good. If possible I would like to buy from a local call maker. Meaning here in pa,preferably in central pa.

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: are they worth it?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 05:25:19 AM »
pretty much ever closed reed has the same jc reed shoved down the throat of it.  but a custom call maker sometimes blades and tunes their calls to give them a different sound.  also some call bodies are made with different chambers to give the effect of it being easier to blow or have more control over the call.  custom calls can be worth the extra $ paid for them.  will it work better then a 10.00 production call?  depends on the caller. 
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 08:12:27 AM »
Well said.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 08:37:10 AM »
and what I mean by "depends on the caller" is this.  each person has different ways to blow on a call.  all hand calls have the ability to call a critter in.  but some callers don't use as much air or some can't tone their air pressure down at all.  certain calls will lock up easier if you blow on em too hard.  while other ones won't work at all because the caller can't put enough air down the barrel.  it all comes to personal preference and what you like.  and unfortunately because someone else likes a call and says it is a good one doesn't mean it will work for you.  without you actually using it you won't know if you like it.  along with people will start saying certain calls work better because they call in animals with em.  which is true in their case.  but that doesn't mean you will be able to take that same call out and call in animals as well.  practice is key and I have had calls I absolutely hated when I first tried em.  but after practicing with that call it would start sounding good and they would grow on me.  if ya have any more questions let me know. 
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

uncle buck

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 11:17:04 AM »
prdtrkilr223 all the calls you own will call in predators.  The negative side of closed reed calls is that when the temp dip down to 32 degrees and below they will freeze up with your saliva.. Open reed predator calls will not freeze up when the temps dip down to freezing..  Sounds like you need a open reed call.. For beginners  Primos LIL DOGS are easy to learn on.  If you can find any of the Primos Regulators on some local gun store shelf they are easy to use too.. I have not seen them on the shelves of the larger sporting good stores..

Me personally I like Crit-R-Call Open Reed Calls.  The Peewee is the smallest and the easiest to learn on..  
www.critrcall.com

Custom calls...Yep they work and are nice to look at too...Also nice to pass down to someone in the near future too.  There are call mfg that are members on here..  This link is on the PPHA home page:   http://www.ppha.us/sponsor_links.htm  
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 11:20:44 AM by uncle buck »