Author Topic: Hand Calls????  (Read 2505 times)

Offline my7pointmonster

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
  • Doubled Up
Hand Calls????
« on: March 01, 2011, 11:58:21 PM »
I've always used electronic calls, but I've been considering adding some hand calls to the arsenal, my question is what are some good entry level calls that I can use to get a start with?? The reason I haven't used them this far is I dont like the idea of them Honing and coming looking for ME. Not that I'm worried they're going to attack me or anything like that because that's a load of crap, just for the movement factor. They're by far the "Smartest, dumbest animal I've even encountered."

So bottom line, can anyone recommend some inexpensive entry level calls for me to take a look at?? I hunt more Gray's than reds also. at about a 25:1 ratio

Thanks in advance,
Ryan.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 11:58:38 PM by my7pointmonster »
District 4

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Hand Calls????
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 12:19:13 AM »
if you hunt greys at night you want them looking at ya. 

get a grizz and grey from KCC.  only call I found that sounds close to a grey fox pup. 
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

uncle buck

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 01:18:35 AM »
Your going to need to know how to use an open reed call...Primos LIL DOGS are good ones for beginners to practice on... Also the Crit-R-Call Peewee open reed call.   They won't break your wallet either...

http://www.king-cart.com/cgi-bin/cart.cgi?store=apc&product=Predator+Call+-+Packs&exact_match=exact

http://www.king-cart.com/cgi-bin/cart.cgi

Offline SongDogSilencer

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 12:12:54 PM »
I was gonna say Griz n grey.  The lil dog is cool too.  I own a lil dog and a griz n grey is on my list. Those things are sweet.

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 12:20:10 PM »
Go with the Tweeny calls and the Sceery calls. I call 90 percent of the predators with these two calls.

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 12:54:39 PM »
one thing with calls as well is preference to a certain call depends on how well a caller likes it.  pretty much every closed reed that is made commercially has the same reed in as the next guy.  nothing fancy.  open reeds there is some differences between brands.  I have a whole bag full of calls.  custom and production.  They all will work but I get a confident with certain calls and I notice that they never come off my lanyard.  one open reed that i have always had and used was a critrcall standard.  they are hard to beat for the sounds you can get out of em.  closed reeds are something that is up to the callers preference.  I like the backstabber from KCC and D3's arrow shaft call.  both work well.  the backstabber has two voices though.  custom closed reeds can be different then production calls though.  Depending on the maker sometimes they will blade the reed or otherwise modify the reed to make a standard sounding reed sound different.  not many call makers do this though.  The only custom closed reeds that I like are from EW calls, and the THO calls bonker.  both have a different sound to em and they are also both very nice looking to the eye.  but custom calls can come with a $ tag.  along with custom closed reeds there are custom open reeds.  I would have to say one of my favorite open reeds that I have got from a custom callmaker is one from brad gainey.  very nice piece of wood and antler mouthpiece.  sounds good and has a crisp sound to it from the finish he put on the antler.  so good luck on your quest of finding some calls.   
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline bghunter

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 02:41:21 PM »
I like hand calls cause it seems to me that I called in the game not a 2-$500 Fox Pro or whatever. KCC calls are top shelf IMO and the 3 I have do me right. It's like reloadin you put it together you shoot your blend, makes you feel good like hand calls...later