Author Topic: Lighting? Could use some extra input.  (Read 3041 times)

Offline my7pointmonster

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
  • Doubled Up
Lighting? Could use some extra input.
« on: March 01, 2011, 01:05:24 AM »
After several conversations between myself and Kirk McKendree, I've been wanting some more opinions on what lights you guys are using. I was considering getting a Kill lite 250 however, I don't use a rifle much I'm more of a shotgun guy, What I'm debating on also is getting rid of that god awful Nite lite Tracker I have, Great battery life, no adjustment on the brightness and it keeps cutting out on me. (Which really REALLY gets under my skin) I was considering getting a predator lite to scan with. Anyone have any opinions they'd be greatly appreciated.

Ryan.
District 4

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Lighting? Could use some extra input.
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 02:37:11 AM »
The predator light is nice.  if you shoot shotgun only no need for a gun light.  I twist the hat and shoot a red dot sight.  ya need a lil practice though to get the right spot on your head.
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline zekedogg

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 09:30:39 AM »
Ryan, They make a shotgun mount for the kill light...Rick
Rick Comport

Pennsylvania Predator Hunters Association

Offline my7pointmonster

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
  • Doubled Up
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 10:58:47 AM »
I guess I should have worded it differently, I have a tracker now, so I know what you meant by tilting the hat, what I don't like about the nite lite tracker is the wiring and the big bulky battery, I'm looking to do away with that all together, and I knew about the Kill lights shotgun mount but it doesn't seem like many people like it very much.

I'm looking for suggestions to replace the light I have now, I'm looking for something that has a dimmer and is rechargable

Thanks again.

Ryan.
District 4

Offline SongDogSilencer

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 12:43:28 PM »
Dude,

Get the kill light 100. It's perfect for the shotgun.
Even a mag lite with a red dj gel works good. My dad used it for years.

Brian

Offline chiefz28

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 09:30:11 PM »
i just bought 2 250 kill lights i mounted 1 on my rifle scope and 1 on my shot gun. it a 835 Mossberg 12pump not total impressed the way it mounts on the shotgun actually had to take the the bracket to the belt sander to get it fit between barrel and the piece the pump is mounted on ( dont know the correct name for that piece). before modifing the light was basically under the gun afterwards i was able to spin it up pretty much right along side the barrel. light frontsigt nice but doest do much for the rearsight. altough UB had a solution for this problem. but either way it is a nice light for lighting up the night

Offline zekedogg

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 10:07:55 PM »
i just bought 2 250 kill lights i mounted 1 on my rifle scope and 1 on my shot gun. it a 835 Mossberg 12pump not total impressed the way it mounts on the shotgun actually had to take the the bracket to the belt sander to get it fit between barrel and the piece the pump is mounted on ( dont know the correct name for that piece). before modifing the light was basically under the gun afterwards i was able to spin it up pretty much right along side the barrel. light frontsigt nice but doest do much for the rearsight. altough UB had a solution for this problem. but either way it is a nice light for lighting up the night

I'm not sure you want to light up the end of your barrel. Sounds like you need some kind of halo shield...Rick
Rick Comport

Pennsylvania Predator Hunters Association

uncle buck

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 11:36:28 PM »
I have 2 250 Kill Lights from the same source... The 2nd mount I got was far better then the first.. So you might have received on of the older mounts... That one I had to mount to the side.. this one I can mount on top and there is plenty of room for the 250 light to clear the scope on top..

Offline chiefz28

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 06:21:39 PM »
u can actully see pretty good the way it is. im  sure it not the best set up but when u pull up the light is right on target doest glare and u can make out both sights just the rear one isnt lit as well. Down the road prob try to find a better mount but for the now the one that came with it is going to have to work :(. Spent a lot of money on predator hunting these last couple of months

Offline Brushwolf

• PPHA officers.
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 09:34:06 PM »
Ryan this year i bought the Bright eyes white lighting head light to scan with.The battery is small( about the size fo a pack of smokes) and you dont know the battery is in your pocket. The light also has a dimmer switch right on the head light to give you the brightness that you want. It is a led light so you get plenty of run time on a charge. Great scanning light. Then I have the 250 kill light for my shooting light.