Author Topic: Busted....Electronics VS Mouth Calls. Tall Corn,  (Read 1538 times)

uncle buck

Busted....Electronics VS Mouth Calls. Tall Corn,
« on: November 01, 2010, 09:59:55 AM »
I was hunting on a farm that had tall corn stalk in the entire field..I set up to call fox right on the fringe of it.  I started off with the woodpecker distress...I played it for about three minutes all of a sudden not more then 100 yards away in the middle of the corn a coyote howled at me. Then another... They were in there hunting.... I quickly went to the coyote vocalizations with time gaps of silence... I got the coyotes closer. They were now 50 yards from me and in shotgun range..Then 25 yards, Then they barked as they circled down wind of the speaker.  Now remember the corn must be about 8 feet tall.  I  have them whooped up and now they are barking at me but I can't see them...I did not like that because I knew from experience once they bark at you it pretty much over.  I was just waiting for one to step out of the corn..That never happened I was right..They knew something was up because of me using electronics.. Next time I'm going to go right to mouth calls.. This has happened before and using the mouth calls is what brought them in...
See you kind of learn from things like this.. it was an awesome experience.. I wish the corn was cut and I would have set up in this field and had visibility of where the coyotes where...A bust but I truly believe for these particular coyotes is when I used the electronics instead of mouth and or hand calls that I ended up without getting a shot...

Today I sit here trying to figure out why they did not show themselves.. Could it be the tall corn caused the electronic not to sound quite right.  In defense of electronics I have called in coyotes before using FX5 and the Powerdogg. Could be they came to the woodpecker sound within the first 3 minutes and I did not see them and they knew something was quite not right in the call area???????

Offline Whitefeather

• Junior Forum Member
  • I am NOT the Whitefeather on HuntingPA.com!!
Re: Busted....Electronics VS Mouth Calls. Tall Corn,
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 08:00:30 AM »
Is it possible they saw the caller?  Could you see the caller from your position?

What mouth call would you have used, a interrogation or challenge?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 08:02:58 AM by Whitefeather »
Chris Deckard  District 2