Author Topic: stopping a fox  (Read 2758 times)

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
stopping a fox
« on: May 17, 2010, 08:11:41 PM »
What is a good sound to make with your mouth that will stop a fox that is doing a run by so you can get a good shot?

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: stopping a fox
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 09:16:34 PM »
almost any sound will do.  I normally stop the call.  a lot depends on the area I am calling.  greys I normally setup so that once the fox is spotted it is in range of the gun.  normally a shotgun.  tight quarters calling 95% of the time.  or I setup so the trail I figure they are going to come in on will be in gun range.  reds normally they stop long enough to get a rifle shot off for me at least.  most guys think they have tons of time to kill the animal when in reality they have a second or two.  most of the fox I shot this year was because the partner was too slow on the trigger.  we missed a lot more opportunities because the shooter wasn't ready with their guns up.  I really only hunted by myself a few times this year.  most of the times I let the partner take the shot.  or lack there of because they weren't ready. 

to awenser your question and whistle bark or squeak normally works anything different.  but I haven't had to use it personally for me yet.  normally for someone else. 
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline furbug

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 12:24:51 PM »

MEOW!  will stop them in there tracks

uncle buck

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 07:20:47 PM »
Usually if they turn and run it's usually over...When a red is spooked they may stop way at the end of the field and look back...However remember when they turn and run it usually they know that something is just quite not right...
Bigben is right any sound could stop them....I would think that probably going to a red fox distress or red fox pup for reds just might make them turn around and look for a second or two...However again you better shoot or you will not see the eyes anymore.. Gray's same thing maybe stopping the Gray Fox Pup and then starting it up again might make a gray stop. coyotes...The KIYI or the coyote pup...You can see how valuable the pup sounds are for all canine calling....
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 07:21:18 PM by uncle buck »

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 07:58:54 PM »
a couple of years ago i was calling early on a sunday morning in jan for fox, i called for about 1/2 hour and nothing, i stood up and a red busted out of a brushy area and across a corn field he was going away from me, i figured he would stop just before the woodline so i got ready on the steady sticks and followed him in the scope, right before he entered the woods he turned and looked at me, mistake on his part. 

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 10:19:33 PM »
Thanks for the feed back..Last year I had a few reds come in to the call at a dead run and never stopped for a second, never knew if I should bark or meow or what.

Offline catmando

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 01:40:15 PM »
i just tell them to stop, and they usally do

Offline Seeking_Coyotes

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2010, 11:04:16 PM »
I have never been able to stop them when they run.

Offline vmaster59

• Junior Forum Member
  • Coyote One Production
    • West Tx. Varmint Hunting
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2010, 02:13:32 AM »
STOP !!!!!! Sorry just couldn't help myself. I bark at them.

Clint

-----------------CLICK HERE-----------------

Offline bhw

• Junior Forum Member
    • Bark at the Moon Coyote Club
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2010, 08:03:16 AM »
I've always used a sharp "bark" sound with success. However, I'd try the "meow" for kicks!!
Read the NEW book EASTERN COYOTE CHALLENGE at Bark at the Moon Coyote Club! http://www.bucksnorthuntingworld.com/