Author Topic: What is the average calls in per hunt?  (Read 2260 times)

uncle buck

What is the average calls in per hunt?
« on: January 18, 2010, 11:47:50 PM »
Read from the pros and in many articles that when calling you get about 1 predator called in for every 5 stands...So don't feel bad if you go out there and do not call any predators in one every on your stands...

Lets see...My last 6 hunts....I called in an average of  3.5 predators per hunt...One of the days I called in 0 predators that day....The other 5 days I called in predators... I usually make 6 stands a hunt some days less. 6 days by average of 6 stands per hunt =  36 stands for that period. OR .58 predators per stand for 6 hunting days.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 11:48:39 PM by uncle buck »

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
Re: What is the average calls in per hunt?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 10:42:19 AM »
Now I really feel bad. I think and have thought for years now that I am calling in more predators than I am seeing or atleast that's what I tell myself on the long walk back home.  :)
FayetteNam

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 10:53:02 AM »
yeah but what does some consider a call in?  I was calling on friday up in the mountian and had a grey barking at me from brush about 100yds away.  is that a callin?  if I see a set of eyes and we do not get a confirmed ID on him is that a callin?  some people classify a call in different then others. 

I gotta have an ID and a chance to kill him to be a callin count.  many times I see eyes but to say oh that looked like a fox don't cut it with me JMO.  and my callin ratio for down home is around 1-6 stands.  but I have only been out three times at home here.  most of my time has been upstate hunting for a cat.  in which my success ratio feels like 1-50 LOL. 
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

worm4man

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 12:16:05 PM »
Read from the pros and in many articles that when calling you get about 1 predator called in for every 5 stands...So don't feel bad if you go out there and do not call any predators in one every on your stands...

Lets see...My last 6 hunts....I called in an average of  3.5 predators per hunt...One of the days I called in 0 predators that day....The other 5 days I called in predators... I usually make 6 stands a hunt some days less. 6 days by average of 6 stands per hunt =  36 stands for that period. OR .58 predators per stand for 6 hunting days.

Called Into shooting range?
And how many were killed?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 12:17:17 PM by worm4man »

worm4man

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 12:24:09 PM »
I agree BigBen, Called In should be a visual ID. Many count a I KNOW I HEARD SOMETHING, As a call In.

uncle buck

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 06:36:08 PM »
One has to set their own goals of what is a call in...I can't tell you what a call in should be.....If you are calling and you have a fox barking at you......IMO...You called in a fox...He came to your call..You did something wrong...You got busted but you did call in a fox.  So on that stand...It was you who wrecked up...You did call it in but you did something wrong.

As far as eyes and you can't ID them...IMO....UB judging himself.. Not anyone else...That would not be considered a call in..It could be a deer.  house cat, domestic dog, two reflectors on a fence post.

The last 4 weeks I have been training three people on night time calling...Not all at the same time... what a learning experience for them and me... I could see the fox come right to them in shotgun range and they did not even see it...  Was it a call in...Sure was...If I would have been in that spot with the shotgun I would have had a shot...Me...I could see all of this developing as I mouth called for them....

Nope their is no universal guide lines of what YOU think is a call in.  People have to really start to think of themselves of what is a call in or not...Not what someone says it is...That leads to so much debates.

Also yes there are going to be times that each and everyone of us are going to call in something and not even know it... However.....No cigar for a call in nor not a kill for sure..