Author Topic: boots  (Read 2248 times)

Offline mountain dog

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
boots
« on: January 17, 2010, 06:46:36 PM »
What is your choice,leather or rubber ? I know rubber lets less scent, but I like the leather for ankle support. Iam going to try to get a better pair with more support. Any suggestions ?
Mountain dog

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: boots
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 06:50:15 PM »
Ive been looking for a good pair of rubber boots for a long time.
Not so much for scent control but for staying dry crossing streams and wet bottoms.
I heard great things about Muck boots

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
    • Middletown Anglers and Hunters Association
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 06:54:00 PM »
After buying a pair of Rocky boots...i will never buy another pair of boots again...most comfortable, great ankle support, and they're one of hte warmest boots i've ever worn...
District 2 ...Dauphin County...~PA Fish and Boat Commission, Huntsdale State Fish Hatchery~ Trappers District 11
              "CritterDone"

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 07:04:11 PM »
muck boots best boots i have ever wore for hunting.  trumps even leather imo
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline mountain dog

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 07:09:38 PM »
I looked at some today. the ones I looked at I did like the rockys the best. I have a couple of leather rockys and they are very good.I hunt the mountains a lot and I need good ankle support.  Thanks guys
Mountain dog

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 08:43:48 PM »
I use LaCrosse leather boots and would purchase another pair for hunting and trapping. These boots are dry and have rugged lug soles. I do apply Sno-Seal every year to maintain long wear.
On Christmas, I got a gift card to Dick's Sporting goods. They had boots on sale after Christmas so I took a look because I needed a pair of every day, insulted boots. Dick's didn't have LaCrosse and I didn't like their brand 'Field & Stream' so I purchased a pair of Wolverines. Good leather, well insulted, with rugged lug soles. I think they will hold up to yard chores, wood cutting, plowing snow & even hunting and trapping. I worn em hard since the holidays and am happy with them thus far.
I have Herman Survivor insulted boots from WalMart for work. They are junk. First pair cracked across the top. Return 'em and now the second pair is doing the same. It's a darn shame because years back they made top notch stuff, but I think WalMart demands lower price so they get a cheaper made boot. Shy away from Walmart-department store boots.
Hern

uncle buck

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 11:54:05 PM »
Rocky's make a rubber boot that is scent free... I  pick mine up at Gander starting around now into March...Keep going back and you will almost get them for nothing...
Also Cabelas makes a good scent free, rubber walking boot too... Camo'd and it also made for walking trails too...
I do have all the other cheaper boots...Use them in the early part of the season..Your archer type boots. Use them in Oct and Nov for predator calling...

Also check the Cabelas Den Area (Clearance) out on the web and in the store too...

Only time I use leather boots is when I am hunting chucks.... Predator calling or trapping it's always rubber and also designated scent free too.  I do like Pac boots too...Rubber bottom leather uppers.

Offline longhair

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 01:43:37 PM »
I got the wolverine's in 600 gm and 1200 gm both with gortex. The 600 pair is the most comfortable boots I've ever had and they last. Great ankle support and good grip. Thought about the "muck" boots but they don't come in a wide size.

Summertime hunt'n/yard work is just "texas steer" K mart brand.

Note~ The 1200 gm pair of wolverines was bought 1/2 size bigger to give the toes "wiggle" room. Also bought a pair of artic shield booties big enough to put those hand warmers in the toe when sitting on stand all day. Gortex took care of get'n wet feet. ;D
Whatado !!!!
District 6
"When the queen is happy, There's peace in the kingdom."