Author Topic: Gun care  (Read 3530 times)

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
Gun care
« on: December 20, 2009, 08:15:51 PM »
This probably sounds like a dumb question but I was wondering what everyone uses as a gun cleaner or solvent?Hoppes #9 works good but I don't like the strong odor.Any suggestions.

Offline longhair

• Seasoned Forum Member
Re: Gun care
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 08:30:34 PM »
Always used hoppes#9 till I got a .243WSSM. Now I use the "foam" cleaners. Not as punget and does a better job. And that idea came from the "gunsmith" when I couldn't get it clean no matter what I did. ;D
Whatado !!!!
District 6
"When the queen is happy, There's peace in the kingdom."

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 08:49:59 PM »
longhair,Do the foam cleaners need to be removed so they don't etch the metal like some of the bore cleaners or can you leave them on.

Offline longhair

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 09:32:07 PM »
For the WSSM spray in and wait 30 mins. Then patch/swab till dry. Respray and let sit overnight, then repeat the patch'n process. The first time(when at the gunsmiths) it was soaked and cleaned for three days.

Now the .17hmr is different. That stuff is for copper foulings in the rifleings. Was told NOT to let that stuff be in there long.

For the rest of the guns, one app. is all it takes.

NOTE~ The WSSM is a powder burn issue in conjuction with lubolox(bullet coating) After cleaning this one, it takes 1or2 shots to "season " the barrel. And if you got it clean.......dead nutz. ;D
Whatado !!!!
District 6

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 11:39:58 AM »
I use Butch's bore shine for all my guns.
FayetteNam

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 12:22:35 PM »
what kind of foam cleaner are you using longhair?

I have used hoppes no 9 but I allways seem like I am not doing a good enough job.  no matter how many times I do what the instructions tell you to do it allways seems like it is dirty.  I just cleaned my tikka and it took a few rounds till the rounds were grouped tight at our range at our cabin.  this thing is normally a tack driver.  it had been a little bit since cleaning so I did.  how often are you guys cleaning your guns?
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline longhair

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 01:39:15 PM »
http://www.sharpshootr.com/

This is what I use. ;) It's called "wipe out"
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 01:40:16 PM by longhair »
Whatado !!!!
District 6

Offline swarter2

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 05:46:58 PM »
I use Blue Wonder.  Its all natural.
David P Swarter
286 Parkview Drive
Souderton, Pa 18964
Cell (215)285-1820
e-mail - swarter32@verizon.net
District 2
Bees Obrien Game Calls Field Staff

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
    • Middletown Anglers and Hunters Association
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2009, 07:38:24 AM »
I'm going to tell ya guys, the rifle I use for deer is a 30-06 springfield armory, modified from the original set up from WWII, I had it re-stocked and a scope was mounted. The rifle barrel itself was already cut shorter buy a gunsmith before I owned it. I have owned this rifle since I was 13 and I NEVER cleaned the inside of the barrel. That sounds irresponsible, but I gets shot most years less than 5 times a year, and it hits the same spot every year, putt'em down year in year out...now...my .223 savage...I use hoppes #9 or rem oil/solvent with a bore snake, and I can see a change in my groups...Honestly, i'm scared to clean our the riflings i'm sure are in my deer rifle, and have it be inconsistant, I figure if it aint broke, don't fix it
District 2 ...Dauphin County...~PA Fish and Boat Commission, Huntsdale State Fish Hatchery~ Trappers District 11
              "CritterDone"

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, 07:34:51 AM »
anyone ever use gun slick?  good or bad issues with it?  I picked a can up of this foaming cleaner at the local gander mountain and am kinda hesitant to use it on my tikka. 
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”